PDA

View Full Version : Dyna mimics a forum on forumhome

eJM
08-09-2007, 01:09 PM
In order to draw more attention to the blogs on my site, I would like to include a forum-like listing on my forum home page that would act similar to other forum links. When you click it, you will see a list of member blogs with the most recent entries at the top. It might even go further by having a subforum-like list of main categories and the list of recent entries in those.

Is anything like that possible? I just think having a link to the blogs (or whatever you use Dyna for) directly in the forum list would bring more attention to the blogs, encourage our members to read them and even start their own.

If this isn't possible "out of the box", could it be moved to the Addon Modules, Hacks, & Modifications forum somewhere?

Thanks,

Jim

Brian
08-09-2007, 02:56 PM
What about just linking straight to the What's New page (browsecategory.php?do=newentries&cutoffdate=60)? Then you could possibly enable the 'Category Listing' module on that page to display your categories.

Our Sponsors

eJM
08-09-2007, 05:34 PM
You mean sorta like what vBulletin.com does in their Customizing vBulletin category where they redirect a forum listing for vBulletin.org to that site? Just redirect to the What's New page, or any other page I think is appropriate? I'm sure that would work, but I was thinking more of tighter integration into the forum home page. Eventually, the visitor would end up in the Dyna pages, but being able to show a listing of recent entries, or the categories, which would then link to the Dyna pages, could give more attention to my blogs.

Of course, I don't want to crowd the forum home page with modules that show What's New, Category Listings, etc. I just want to give a kind of preview that looks like a forum listing.

Thanks,

Jim

Brian
08-09-2007, 11:02 PM
Ahhh, gotcha. There's not really anything that will do that by default. I can't make any promises right now as to when, but I am hoping to make some plugins to integrate things like the category list, what's new, and etc with the forum home page.

Our Sponsors

eJM
08-09-2007, 11:28 PM
Thanks, Brian.

Jim

hajji
09-08-2007, 02:05 AM
Is there anyway you can show article entry or what's new in the forum recent threads and when they click it, it link to article page for view?
Any suggestions welcome.

Brian
09-08-2007, 02:02 PM
I'm sorry, but I'm not entirely sure what you're asking when you say 'in the forum recent threads'. Are you trying to make something similar to the 'Recent Threads' module, or what exactly?

tfw2005
09-08-2007, 08:15 PM
I think what he is saying, and what I agree would be cool, is if you could choose to "integrate to forum home". If checked in main options...

Then on forum home there is a top category lets say "VBA Dynamics".
Under it, it lists all your instances like forums. So...

Column 1 = ON/OFF newpost buttons
Column 2 = Instance Name
Column 3 = Last Post
Column 4 = Entries (number of)
Column 5 = Posts (number of)
Column 6 = Moderators (on/off like VB does).

So it 100% looks like those things are forums. Yet if you click anything, it takes you to the proper instance/page of your Dynamics.

My staff mentioned today while all this is great, and can replace forums for specific topics, it will be hard to get folks who are boardie regulars to use these other sections if they aren't linked within the forumhome page, and within the forumjump menus, so they can go back and forth seemlessly.

If you just add a sub-forum, and make it a link to your Dynamics, you lose latest/posts/threads, and people know its a link to "another area". Most are less likely to click, browse, use due to that.

While I understand integrating this so you can insert it into any sub-category location you want would be hard or impossible, perhaps just a "module" you plug into Forum Home above or below normal listings, which will look just like another header/sub-cat setup, listing your dyna instances like sub-forums, 1 instance per row, same columns as normal forum home.

This is one thing that add on scripts in general always lack, and it makes the webmasters almost force users to new/other areas of the site. Galleries, Classifieds, Blogs always do this, and I think they suffer on a lot of sites due to it. We need to entice the boardie regulars by making it as familiar as possible on first glance.

Sorry for the rambling, just giving some feedback. Later!

hajji
09-08-2007, 09:50 PM
You are absolutely right, tfw2005.
That's my point exactly because it seems to me that dynamic "stand alone" without any link to the recent forum post or thread whatever you want to call it.
Let say you publish an article how can you integrated that to the recent post in forum home page module for member to click on without going to "site navigation" and click on article to view.

Recent Threads
RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views <------ I hope this help.