Thread: clarification on a feature

Default clarification on a feature

I have a forum with some articles on them, fairly large in size that i would like to include into the cmps, i noticed that when creating a new page you can set the news page to pull info from a thread rather than a forum which is perfect for what i need, however it seems like you can only do this once as everytime i create a new page that page shows the default news module settings and the first page i created changes so it takes the information from the thread i used in the last page i created. So is it supposed to work the way i want it to or have i got the wrong idea?

Default Re: clarification on a feature

If you want to create different news modules to display information from different threads, try using this method

ACP > vBa CMPS > Edit Modules > News Module > Select an action > COPY

Then configure accordingly
    Mike Key - Lost and Confused

Are you by chance running one of the RC versions still? There was a problem in one of the RC's that could cause a result like that, but it should have been fixed in 2.0.0.

Just downloaded again, uploaded all files, removed old instalation and reinstalled. Set up default homepage to show threads from the news forum and that worked ok, created a new page and used a thread, new page shows threads from news forum and default homepage now shows the thread i specified for for the new page .

And creating a copy of the module doesnt work either as when i add a new module and specify a new thread it changes the thread in the module i copied it from. Actualy just went through and double checked everything on the pages and now first page i created shows content from the second page i created and the second page shows the content from the first page. Maybe i am doing things wrong.

Step one: Add Page and select module
    Step two: Give it title (test 1)and page identifier (test1) and select parent page as default / homepage
    Step 3: untick everything in center column apart from news module
    Step 4: scroll down to news options and click on edit threads, new page pops up and i select the thread i want, once thats updated close page
    step 5: Make sure use default in news thread and news forum(s) are unticked, change max characters to display to 5000 and click on save.

After doing that, index php is showing the thread i specified in test 1 and index.php?page=test1 is showing what should show on index.php

So went to edit default page everything looks fine, so i dont make any changes and hit save, index.php now shows what it should do, test1 though still shows the same as index, so edit test1 and news threads under news options is ticked (news forum(s) isnt) so i untick that and save but makes no difference, edit test1 again and use default next to news threads is ticked again, so select the thread again and save and this time everything is working fine. So create another page using above method called Test 2 when i go to select a thread the thread from page one is selected already, so i remove that and add a different thread, save and end up with index working correctly, test1 now showing the thread i selected in test2 and test2 showing what shows in index. No matter what thread i select on test2 it always shows the same as index but page1 changes

(also went through the above steps only creating a new module for each page and it worked the same)

Shall i raise a support ticket for this to be looked into or am I trying to get it to do something its not designed to do?

Strange... Yes, if you wouldn't mind submitting a support ticket then I'll be glad to take a look at things for you and see what the problem is.

Any update on this? Since i'm trying to do the same thing

Download the package from here again, replace your existing includes/adminfunctions_vba_cmps.php and admincp/vba_cmps_admin.php files with the ones in the package, and that should take care of the problem.

kick ass thanks !

Yup Brian fixed the problem though there is still one tiny thing wrong with it which you will need to look out for. When you create a new page that is going to link to a thread save the page first then edit it and change what thread it should be linked to. If you attempt to change the news module to link to a thread when you create a page you get linked to

vba_cmps_admin.php?do=listforums&identifier=news&pageid=

instead of

vba_cmps_admin.php?do=listforums&identifier=news&pageid=x

with x being the page number of the page being created

But apart from that its working great

Ahh, that's a good catch. That's going to be a little tricky to solve, but I'll figure something out for the next version.

Thread Information