Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: [Module] Customizable RSS feed module

Default Re: [Module] Customizable RSS feed module

I'll try this one...thanks.

FYI, your sample code in the original post which shows how to include the date has an extra ')' at the end of the first line of code.

FYI, your sample code in the original post which shows how to include the date has an extra ')' at the end of the first line of code.
    Thanks - it's fixed now.
    Tom Morris
    Porsche Boxster discussion forum.
    Today's Conservative discussion forum.

That's working, though it was still a little cranky. I had to re-enter the URL of the feed in the first module for some reason, because both modules ended up showing the same feed. I'm going to try a third feed...we'll see how that goes!

How hard would it be for a non-coder like me to have the feeds only show the headlines and date, with none of the actual article content?

Okay...it didn't like three feeds. Two are working, but I wasn't able to add the third...

D'oh. I had two working, but I tried to change the feed on the second one and broke the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by euangel
    D'oh. I had two working, but I tried to change the feed on the second one and broke the whole thing.
    How did you create the multiple feeds? I've got 4 different feeds running correctly on my test page.

I've run across a problem in CMPS when duplicating modules that causes things to "break" with the only way to resolve it to delete all the custom modules that experience a problem, including the original one, and starting the process over. I've also had to go into the db and manually delete records. I thought this was only related to when creating the module and options but apparently not. I've reported it and similar behavior as a problem.

What I do now that seems to work is to import the module and leave it alone. I then make a copy of it and save it. Then I go back and edit that copy and leave the blank one alone. If you need a 2nd module repeat the copy process, making for a total of 3 versions (the original plus 2 copies). I currently have 5 copies of the RSS module, 4 of which are "real" and 1 is the original blank one.
    Tom Morris

How do I prevent catagory from appearing? I think it's category anyway. I'm using a Google feed and apparently category is the same as the title and author so it's kind of redundant. I made changes to the rssbits template and it doesn't seem to be sticking...or I'm trying to change it in the wrong place.

My site is here: http://indigovortex.com

Nevermind, I got it. It was Google. I thought I could skip using Grouper since Google has rss news feeds, however Google adds html to their rss feed as well as repeating the title in the item description.

If the HTML is consistent it's possible to use the Data Modification code section for the feed to strip it out (unless the feed TOS says you can't do this). This removes the category
    Code:
    $rss_item['CATEGORY'] = '';
    w/o having to esdit the adv_portal_rssbits template.

This shortens long descriptions and adds a '... [Read More]' that will open in a new window
    Code:
    substr($rss_item['DESCRIPTION'], 0, strrpos(substr($rss_item['DESCRIPTION'], 0, 200), ' ')) . '... [<a href="' . $rss_item['LINK'] . '" target="_blank">Read More]';
    The possibilities are pretty endless as to what you can do w/o having to edit the templates.
    Tom Morris

Thanks Tom...I'll give that a try. Does deleting the module remove the info in the database, or am I going to need to go it to the database to do that?

I'm also considering showing a full entry rather than just the description. What would the code be for that?

Quote Originally Posted by euangel
    Thanks Tom...I'll give that a try. Does deleting the module remove the info in the database, or am I going to need to go it to the database to do that?
    In my case I needed to do some manual deletion but that was on my development db. Deleting the module is supposed to delete all the stuff related to it, except for the php file and the templates. However if you have multiple copies of the module it doesn't currently seem to do that - which is where one of the problem seems to be. After deleting all the copies of the module I had to go in and manually take car of stuff. You can see what tables are used by looking in the vBa admincp app in the doremovemodule section.

I'm also considering showing a full entry rather than just the description. What would the code be for that?
    Not sure what you mean here. The description that shows by default is the full description that's in the feed unless it's modified by the Data Modification code. You can always look directly at the cached version of the feed to see what's in it
    Tom Morris

Quick question.

First, love the hack.

Now, if I want this on more than one template (users have the option to change from three different ones) I'm assuming I just re-upload the rssfeed.module, and set it for another template??

Here.
    www.jake25.com (it's defaulted to "classic" style) and I want to set it up for the silver/red 2 black.

Cheers, Jake

Actually, it's no different than any other module. However you have the others set up to show in all styles then that's what needs to be done with this. The only reason to copy the basic module is if you want an additional rss feed displayed.
    Tom Morris

Hmm, not sure how to do that. Upon installation, it asks what template you want it installed on.

If I knew what parts of the "classic" template was changed, I'd just copy over to the other two. Any ideas?

I'm thinking the only way to do that, would be to re-install the module, and when it asks what template I want it displayed on, to choice one of the others.

EDIT...

Never mind. Put one as parent, and whichever will follow.
    Last edited by Jake25; 12-30-2005 at 10:02 PM.

thanks works like a charm.

however from reading it seems that you should put how to add additional modules in first post.

but dumb it down a little
    Fighting For Peace, Is Like Screwing For Virginity

Is there any way to make it scroll the news articles or does it have to be in a list?

Quote Originally Posted by Thiefer
    Is there any way to make it scroll the news articles or does it have to be in a list?
    It's currently designed to be a list. You could always edit the adv_portal_rss template, place the list portion in a fixed height <div> and let that scroll by using overflow:auto.

Perhaps I'll make that an option in a future release.
    Tom Morris

You think you could give me a little more of n example. I do not see where it states the list in that template. So I am unable to force its size

Quote Originally Posted by Thiefer
    You think you could give me a little more of n example. I do not see where it states the list in that template. So I am unable to force its size
    What I did as a quick'n dirty test was add the bit in red
    Code:
    <tr>
      <td>
        <div style="height: 400px; overflow: auto;">
          <table width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="5">

$rssbits

</table>
        </div>
      </td>
    </tr>
    It works but messes with the table cell widths a bit so it would need some tweaking. It should get you started though.
    Tom Morris

where would I put the overflow:auto? Sorry I just have never done this before

Edit, I can't get this to work at all. Everytime I change something it breaks everything.
    Last edited by Thiefer; 01-04-2006 at 04:29 PM.

Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread Information