Thread: Create a module that shows recent threads within a specific forum only and no others?

Default Create a module that shows recent threads within a specific forum only and no others?

The reason why I ask this seemingly odd question is because of how the GARS system works (thevbgeek.com).

What I want to be able to do is this:

I will be using GARS (Geek Article Review System) to post custom content / game review pages... and this is done through a specific forum you can set up. So what I want to be able to do is make a module that sees which "Threads" are put into one specific forum I designate.

This then will allow me to just show new game reviews etc that have been listed in that specific forum. Is this possible?

I'd also like to do this same concept with a searching module, where it only searched for new "threads" within my specific "game review" forum.

Default Re: Create a module that shows recent threads within a specific forum only and no others?

Maybe I'm missing something here but why not just copy the recent threads module and limit the copy to only look at the forum that has your reviews in it?
    Tom Morris
    Porsche Boxster discussion forum.
    Today's Conservative discussion forum.

Default Re: Create a module that shows recent threads within a specific forum only and no others?

Maybe I was overthinking it then. Well if that is all that is needed, how would I do that? Like go into the .php module file? Heh, I'm kinda noobish at coding.

Default Re: Create a module that shows recent threads within a specific forum only and no oth

After you copy the module (let's rename the new copy to 'Reviews' or some such) then go in to Edit Modules and change the forum that the 'Reviews' module uses to pull threads from.

You may still need to create a special template if you want the link to point to something other than showthread.php, but that part's really easy too.
    Tom Morris
    Porsche Boxster discussion forum.
    Today's Conservative discussion forum.

Something like this do you mean: http://www.the-darks.com/_index.php (look right side)

Easy done.

Press the Latest threads modules so that it opens. On the first line you can choose to copy, copy it and make the changes.

Afterall, dont forget to check if the modules are linked correctly. Since after I've copied, I accidently renamed the wrong block.

I'm not sure what you're saying here.

Admin CP => vBa CMPS => Edit Modules => Recent Threads

Go there, select 'Copy' from the select box in the 'Module Tools' section, then just select a forum to pull the new threads from on the next page and save the module.

Trying now, I've had a few problems with them displaying correctly but we'll see.
    Last edited by GamingVidz.com; 01-24-2006 at 01:19 AM.

Lightbulb Re: Create a module that shows recent threads within a specific forum only and no others?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian
    Admin CP => vBa CMPS => Edit Modules => Recent Threads

Go there, select 'Copy' from the select box in the 'Module Tools' section, then just select a forum to pull the new threads from on the next page and save the module.
    Actually Brian, what your saying is true and works but, will not work until you edit a dublicate a file first which would be the latestthreads.php in your modules folder. Then you have to dublicate the templates and rename them. Pretty much thats the hard part, but dont forget you have to edit the latestthreads.php. I will soon add my work here to show you. Im not going to release this right at this moment, but will soon. I may just post a tutorial on it i dont know. More feedbacks would probly help change my mind. Brian, LOL You know better bro, give them more info bro!

oh and btw GamingVidz.com, that is the main reason why I was doing this because I was wanting to do the exact same thing with that mod. Yes, it works. I might just post the file here sometime this weekend.

See it in action here called the Latest Tutorials which is used by the GARS and pulled from only certain threads I have it set too in the vBadvanced CMS Menu.
    Last edited by dbmaster; 03-30-2006 at 08:53 AM.

Lightbulb Re: Create a module that shows recent threads within a specific forum only and no others?

ok I give in, here it is flks, your prayers has been answered. It may be easy and then again it may not. HOwever I am open for requests and suggestions. So..Enjoy.
    PS.. I also included a screenshot of it working for you lazy folks that dont wanna see it in action.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Create a module that shows recent threads within a specific forum only and no oth

Quote Originally Posted by dbmaster
    ok I give in, here it is flks, your prayers has been answered. It may be easy and then again it may not. HOwever I am open for requests and suggestions. So..Enjoy.
    PS.. I also included a screenshot of it working for you lazy folks that dont wanna see it in action.
    Thank you BUNCHES for this...I will give it a try
    ~Some Days I Live Online ~*~ Some Days I Just Visit~

It didn't quite work exactly..but I got it working.

Here's how I got it to work for me:
    First thing I did...upload the php file from the download.
    Second, create the templates as stated in the directions from the download.
    Second thing...copy the recent forums thread module (click it and choose copy)
    Do not leave all fields default here like I did first...otherwise you'll end up having two of the original..lol..You must choose the new php module you uploaded and clear out the templates used area. Oh, and give it a new name if ya likes.
    Next choose which forums you want to pull from...I chose my GARS ones.
    Click save and you're done!

When I tried to do it as a new module I didn't get anywhere...and it didn't include the options to pull from a forum like latest threads does. Prob, my own misunderstanding of the directions.

Let me say it again: "Thank you BUNCHES!!!!!!!!"
    You are the "King!" I appreciate your hard work and uploading the module...thanks BUNCHES!! Tons!!!

if it wasn't for your instructions Calliejo I wouldn't of been able to understand this. The original instructions from dbmaster were really short and not detailed. I'm a noob at this stuff and I couldn't do it with just the original instructions.

You shouldn't have to modify any PHP files to do this, just copy the module and set which forums to pull articles from.

Quote Originally Posted by NR Fatal
    if it wasn't for your instructions Calliejo I wouldn't of been able to understand this. The original instructions from dbmaster were really short and not detailed. I'm a noob at this stuff and I couldn't do it with just the original instructions.
    Glad I could be of some help...take care...

what if i want
    to make the user select
    his favourite forum

Thread Information