Thread: Custom Pages _ Questions from a nub.

Default Custom Pages _ Questions from a nub.

I found the manual too light, I read it all and I have additional questions. My site is located at http://www.seattlednb.com

I would like to use this portal to integrate features into my site.

%) I would like to integrate a news column into the middle column of index.php. I see news.php in the Edit Modules section, but I don't understand how to add news events. Also, I dont want to display threads on the main page, thats what the forum pages are for.

#) Custom pages for Djs. This would require one page to show all the links to the sub-pages, and all the sub-pages for the individual djs. Basically, I'm wondering how to create .php files that will display in the middle of the page, with the portal content around the sides.

I'm also wondering if it might be possible to use movable type (which can output plain text to a .php file) and somehow put the content into a middle column.

Basically, I'm down with rtfm'ing. But the manual is way too brief. I need a lot more information on customizing this thing.
    Last edited by tendo; 02-22-2006 at 02:02 PM.

Default Re: Custom Pages _ Questions from a nub.

For starters, the news gets pulled from the forum you choose, That is how you add news events, Add threads to the forum you chose.

If you do not want the recent threads module showing, just disable that module, or uncheck it from the "default page"

The portion about the Custom DJ pages, it can be done, just alot of work on your part, creating Templates with your content, then pages for them enabling only the template you want enabled.
    Then just create a navigation Module with links to everything

As to the Movable type question you got me there, I am at a loss

Can't I set something up that can just accept a value they input like

Quote Originally Posted by Infidel

T.Z.A.

Affiliations: Barcode, Obscene, Algorythm, Freak, Bassline Agency

T.Z.A. has been keeping quite busy establishing himself as one of the best new producers from the U.S. Over the past year, he’s increasingly gained support from the likes of Dylan, Deislboy, Tech Itch, Kryptic Minds, Counterstrike, Evol Intent, B-Key and more.

Two of his tracks have been released on Barcode, a sub-label of Renegade Hardware, and he just put out a 12” on Obscene, Dylan’s sister label to Freak. Also, releasing a 3rd track "Violence" for Barcode featured on their debut LP, plus a remix of a Counterstrike's "Can't let Go" for Algorythm Recordings, and a forthcoming tune "Under Control" set for release early 2006 on Freak Recordings. You can listen to his work on mixes such as "Us Against The World" mix by Evol Intent on Barcode or "Future Beats Vol. 3" mix by Chase and Status on Renegade Hardware.

With a solid release schedule on labels such as Barcode and Freak he’s definitely one to keep an eye on. Expect big things from T.Z.A in the coming years as this artist continues to spread out his sound.

http://www.tzadnb.com
    and output that content to a single page in the middle column of the portal, have the portal add it to a category called djs which would have a link to each page in the djs category

i was thinking it might be hip to setup movable type which they could enter html codes like the one above into, and then have it output just a blank .php file that would look exactly like above. then it would just be a matter of a plugin in the portal picking up those pages. movabletype archiving could even handle a list of all the files that have been made,an unformatted .php file which could be imbedded into the portal as a links page for all files in this "dj" category.

is there an easier way?

this seems pretty simple if someone could just kinda point me at something to read or the basic idea behind doing this i would greatly appreciate it.

cheers for a great free product !
    Last edited by tendo; 02-22-2006 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tomshawk
    For starters, the news gets pulled from the forum you choose, That is how you add news events, Add threads to the forum you chose.
    Can anyone tell me how to do this?

Edit the news module, scroll down and you will find the config options. You just need to pick the right forum and how many posts you want to pull from it.

Wtf. I read through the entire news.module and didnt see any well documented settings or commented out lines.

Is this really how you do this? Isn't there any more documentation somewhere?

ya, if I log in one name, can I reset another one ?

Thread Information