Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Add MORE columns to vBadvanced

Thumbs up Add MORE columns to ALL VERSIONS of vBadvanced

So vBadvanced only allows 3 columns for your modules, but YOU want 4? Or maybe even 5? or 6? or 7? I personally wouldn't do more than 4 since most web users are still using 800x reso for whatever sad reason.

This works on ANY version of vBadvanced since it has nothing to do with the actual CODE of the script. Its just simple html really. But my instructions are for vb3.5.xx and vbadvanced 2.x.
    EDIT NOTE: Now running 3.6.2 and vba 2.2.1 and this all works still without any editing necessary after the upgrades.

This is so simple you will slap yourself for not thinking of it on your own.

AdminCP > vBa CMPS > Add Module and choose TEMPLATE type.

Module Title: Column OPEN
    Column: Center Column (Choose which ever location you want this column)
    Display Order: 0
    Active: YES
    Update All Pages: NO

Within the Template Module Options block.............
    Template to Include: adv_portal_Column_Open
    Template Content: <td>

Module Shell Template Options
    Use Module Shell Template: NO
    Leave the rest blank

Usergroups: Put them all to YES for now, you can change later if you want when you understand what's going on better.

Click SAVE

Now to close the column..............

AdminCP > vBa CMPS > Add Module and choose TEMPLATE type.

Module Title: Column CLOSE
    Column: Center Column (Choose which ever location you want this column)
    Display Order: 99
    Active: YES
    Update All Pages: NO

Within the Template Module Options block.............
    Template to Include: adv_portal_Column_Close
    Template Content: </td>

Module Shell Template Options
    Use Module Shell Template: NO
    Leave the rest blank

Usergroups: Put them all to YES for now, you can change later if you want when you understand what's going on better.

Click SAVE

Modules are now created! Slapping yourself silly yet? No? Okay, let's actually make the column work now.

AdminCP > Edit Modules

For COLUMN OPEN set it should be already set to ZERO if you did as noted above, if not, make it ZERO. And make sure all other modules are anything BUT zero for that column.

Number all the modules you want in this new column starting from 1 (since the Column Open module is zero).

Let's say TODAY'S BIRTHDAYS MODULE is the last module you want to appear at the bottom of this new column and its #14. Find the new module you created called COLUMN CLOSED, which should be at the very bottom since you numbered it 99 as I told you to in above instructions. Make the COLUMN CLOSED module #15.

All modules AFTER that should start from #16 and so forth.

Hit SAVE when done.

Now to activate it on the page of your desire...........

AdminCP > Edit Pages > (Page you desire to have extra column)

Scroll down to the MODULES ENABLED block and "CHECK" the boxes next to the COLUMN OPEN and the COLUMN CLOSED modules.

Scroll to bottom and select SAVE.

That's it. Go look at that page and make sure it works.

Adding and removing modules from that column is just a matter of the "ORDER" number you give them on the EDIT MODULES screen of the AdminCP.

If your page is completely shattered, its probably because you didn't put the slash in the COLUMN CLOSED template when you created it ( </td> ). Not knowing exactly how your modules are built and what not, if the page is still shattered looking, try turning the COLUMN CLOSED module OFF so that it doesn't display. The </td> that is already by default in the vbAdv will most likely take care of closing out your column for you. But again, without knowing how your are creating your pages, its hard for me to make a perfect 1 time way to do this for you.

When you created these Modules, they created their own templates which you can find at:

AdminCP > Styles & Templates > Edit Templates > adv_portal_Column_Open and adv_portal_Column Closed

If you have your PC's reso set at 1024x or higher, make sure you look at your site with it set at 800x. Cuz adding another column tends to make the page too fat for users with their PC's at 800x.

And to add more columns, just repeat everything above but give them names like COLUMN_OPEN_2. And you don't have to do this for the CENTER column. I did mine for the RIGHT column when I had it going on my site before.

Here's an additional way of getting 3 columns going that are equally spaced at 33% each.

FYI, I'm not bothering to show my cellpadding and cellspacing in my TABLE tags.

Value of 1 = Table Open (Module code = <table><tr><td width="33%">
    Value of 2 = vba module
    Value of 3 = Column close/open (Module code = </td><td width="33%">
    Value of 4 = vba Module
    Value of 5 = Column close/open (Module code = </td><td width="33%">
    Value of 6 = vba Module
    Value of 7 = Column/Table Close (Module code = </td></tr></table>
    Value of 8 = vba Module (THIS WOULD BE THAT HORIZONTAL BLOCK OF THUMBS)

Value of 9 and so forth is just a repeat of 1-8

Hope this helps a few people.
    Last edited by MortysTW; 07-29-2008 at 09:50 AM.

Default Re: Add MORE columns to vBadvanced

Perfect! :d

Here's my final version:

http://www.rfidsb.com
    Last edited by maniac; 10-05-2006 at 10:48 AM.

What a fantastic post. Done and done.

I'd like to get the center column to look something like this:

I've figured out how to make different columns by following this thread but it looks alittle cluttered at lower resolutions.

website example: www.midwestlanparty.com

5ketch I've been trying to figure out how to get my column to do the same thing ie:

but when I looked at your site I don't see your center column being split like that. can you explain what you did? when i tried to do I ended up with the exact same module showing in both tables.

You'll need at least 6 modules for this cell layout:

Module 0 can be any existing module, then for the second row you should have:

the first should just have <tr><td>

The second (2) the content that you want to show up in your middle left cell

the third should have </td><td>

The fourth (4) the content of the right center cell

Finally the fifth should have </td></tr>

Do that and it will match the layout shown

Thank you for this.
    I have just put it in the right column.

I changed the content of adv_portal_Column_Open to:

<td>&nbsp;</td><td>

to get some space between columns.

I'm sorry I haven't replied to this thread to help out. I never got auto-notified that there were replies.

You got everything figured out? This is the latest I've done with my front page. http://www.MortysTwistedWorld.com

Thanks
    Last edited by skooby; 05-25-2006 at 07:10 PM.

Cant seem to get this working with fresh install of vB 3.6 Gold and vBacmps 2.2.0

Can you make an alternate page like index.php?page=Morty or something and then try and do it so I have something to look at. Because giving that detail lacking reply of yours, I have no idea where to even begin.

I'm not running 3.6 yet but you can see what I've done so far with all of this by going to these 2 pages.

http://www.mortystwistedworld.com/

And this one is a real good example.

http://www.mortystwistedworld.com/in...?page=site_map

Both pages are pure modules.

Well, I cant really post any examples, as the site isnt live yet, but thanks for wanting to help out, if you by any chance get hold on vB3.6G and cmps2.2.0 please give it a try

Though, I kinda got it working, but only when using right column.
    I had to have a module above the column_open , having column_open as #0 screwed things up.

It's like it's the other way around of what you explained, column_close HAS to be #99 (at the very bottom) and column_open should be somewhere in between #1 and #98, and it only works when using right column.

Like, right now my right column looks like this...

Online Users
    Mini Calendar
    column_open
    Today's Birthdays
    Stats
    column_close

...making it so "Online Users" and "Mini Calendar" is in the third column and those between column_open and column_close are in the fourth column.

Not exactly as you described, but still usefull for what I'm gonna use it for.

Though having it working as intended would be nice, also with the awesome looking placements you have on your site, I would like to be able to arrange the layout like that.

Exclamation Re: Add MORE columns to vBadvanced

I think I understand your issue and I think its a simple HTML issue. Being that you are creating the html via the column modules.

By default, vbadvanced looks like this (not as simple but as far as structure its like this):

<table><tr>
    <td>LEFT COLUMN MODULES</td>
    <td>CENTER COLUMN MODULES</td>
    <td>RIGHT COLUMN MODULES</td>
    </tr></table>

My guess that COLUMN_open you created has a simple <td> in it. And if that's the case, you are making it look like this.....

<td> <td> RIGHT COLUMN </td> </td>

With the RED being your column_open and _close. And with that being said, your code is goofed!

To add these extra columns, you gotta add a TABLE so your code looks like this, again, YOUR CODE being in RED.

<td> <table><tr><td>RIGHT COLUMN MODULES </td><td>2nd RIGHT COLUMN MODULES </td></tr></table> </td>

This is probably getting confusing and I'm sorry.

You need to create 3 modules to make this dual right column thing work.
    Module 1 = <table><tr><td>
    Module 2 = </td><td>
    Module 3 = </td></tr></table>

And it would look something like this when looking at your module right column page where you choose the numerical value for each to have them order and stack properly.

Value 0 = Module 1
    Value 1 = Mini Calendar
    Value 2 = Welcome Block
    Value 3 = Module 2
    Value 4 = Latest Threads
    Value 5 = Random Photopost Pics
    Value 6 = Module 3

Hopefully this makes sense to you. Because I seriously doubt the problems you are having have anything to do with the latest versions of the scripts.

Quote Originally Posted by MortysTW
    My guess that COLUMN_open you created has a simple <td> in it. And if that's the case, you are making it look like this.....

<td> <td> RIGHT COLUMN </td> </td>

With the RED being your column_open and _close. And with that being said, your code is goofed!
    Well, I just followed your initial post, in that you didnt mention all the other stuff, but just that column_open should have "<td>" and column_close should have "</td>".

I'll play around with it some more, trying out the other stuff you mentioned.

I really need to see what's going wrong with your page. It must be live in some sort if you can see it and know its not working.

But yes, you are right, I said to do that above. All depends on how you have your templates built. I wrote this tutorial as to the way I built mine. I'll probably need to rewrite my tutorial completely as a generic format. damn.
    Last edited by MortysTW; 08-06-2006 at 02:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MortysTW
    It must be live in some sort if you can see it and know its not working.
    localhost: so not "live" in a way you can see it.

Try it out yourself, that way you can haxor vB and vBa and whatever web application that uses apache/php/mysql, using your windows PC at home before going live on the net.

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html

Easy installation, and you can use your windows normally as if it wasnt there, but then also test web applications on your home PC without having a linux box.

MortysTW
    I like this idea and had been playing with it since the day you posted it org. but cant seem to get it to work.

I've tried many different ways,that you have stated. my problem is they just go down and not side by side,

this is a screen shot of how they are numbered.

All the code for th columns are set like your latest update

Table Open (Module code = <table><tr><td width="33%">
    vba module=Welcome Block
    Column close/open 1 Module code = </td><td width="33%">
    vba Module=Mini Calendar
    Column close/open 2 Module code = </td><td width="33%">
    vba Module=Online Users
    Column/Table Close Module code = </td></tr></table>
    vba Module=Recent Threads

Module code= Template code in my template files.
    I am 100% sure I did something wrong, would you mind giving me a hand or pointing me ion the right direction

If your interested I can give you access to my test board, if you can just give me a sample I might be able to figure it out, as I am sure its pretty easy.
    I am running 3.6, but have tried it on 3.5 and got the same results.

Thank You
    Delw

Yes, fire me a PM with access info and I'll post my findings here for others to learn from.

I sent you a pm with access.

seems to be working now. Just for the heck of it I clicked page edit. on the home page it showed that these hilighted ones were not enabled( on the edit modules it showed they were active,) so I enabled them and updated, seemed to work. Could it be a bug in vbadvanced? or is this a step we have to do all the time. ?

Table Open
    vba module=Welcome Block
    Column close/open 1
    vba Module=Mini Calendar
    Column close/open 2
    vba Module=Online Users
    Column/Table Close
    vba Module=Recent Threads

Its a step you have to do ALL the time. because vbadvanced will allow you to make countless pages.

For example on my site:
    http://www.mortystwistedworld.com/in...?page=site_map
    http://www.mortystwistedworld.com/index.php?page=links
    http://www.mortystwistedworld.com/in...?page=contests
    http://www.mortystwistedworld.com/in...age=memrambles

For each of those pages, I have selected ONLY the modules I want to display. If you want something forced across ALL pages when you are creating a new Module, you can select the UPDATE ALL PAGES. But you only get one chance at that, and that's when you first create the module. Otherwise you have to go to the EDIT PAGE and Check Mark the modules you want activated.

Maybe that's MINDBUSTER's problem? Have you gone into EDIT PAGES>YOUR PAGE and made sure each Module's box is checked?

And DELW, looks like you got everything going nicely. Only thing I edited was for those 3 templates that are starting the columns, I added a valign="top" to them within the <TD> tag. Feel free to go back and delete it obviously, but I tossed that in there to align them better.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information