Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Add MORE columns to vBadvanced

Default Re: Add MORE columns to vBadvanced

Ok, just tried it again... I'm so close... Here's where I have right now... Hvae 2 basic questions that I can not figure out from your instructions above.

- How do I add spacing between the 2 columns?
    - How do I make the 2nd column align to the top?

(See attachment)

Thanks for any help you can provide.
    InterFX
    <br><br>

my Clients using VBa:
    ChristianMom.com | BrassReview.com | TrumpetForum.com

Quote Originally Posted by interfx View Post
    I just tried the directions above, and in VB3.6.5 I really have messed up my Add Modules page in AdminCP...

It seems it interupts the title names above (ie. <TABLE><TR><TD>), as HTML code...

I'm trying again using normal words (ie. Table Open)

Anyone else have this issue? It was so messed up I had to delete the entire CMPS, and start from scratch...

Any ideas?
    Interesting. I have my html turned OFF in my vB so I probably never noticed that. But it makes sense. Just break the code then. Put SPACES between each symbol. Or don't put the open/close tags. < >

Quote Originally Posted by interfx View Post
    Ok, just tried it again... I'm so close... Here's where I have right now... Hvae 2 basic questions that I can not figure out from your instructions above.

- How do I add spacing between the 2 columns?
    - How do I make the 2nd column align to the top?

(See attachment)

Thanks for any help you can provide.
    Which two columns? The ones you created? If so, when you create the columns with your modules, I assume it was something like <table><tr><td>, possibly with more info in the tags. But in the table tag or the <TD> tag, you can add cellpadding and cellspacing.

<table cellpadding="4" cellspacing="3" border="0"><tr><td> just as an example.

And as for the alignment, in your <TD> tag, you need to slip in an VALIGN="TOP"

<td valign="top">
    Last edited by MortysTW; 04-02-2007 at 08:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MortysTW View Post
    Which two columns? The ones you created? If so, when you create the columns with your modules, I assume it was something like <table><tr><td>, possibly with more info in the tags. But in the table tag or the <TD> tag, you can add cellpadding and cellspacing.

<table cellpadding="4" cellspacing="3" border="0"><tr><td> just as an example.

And as for the alignment, in your <TD> tag, you need to slip in an VALIGN="TOP"

<td align="top">
    That did it... That was simple HTML fix...

Thanks -
    InterFX
    <br><br>

my Clients using VBa:
    ChristianMom.com | BrassReview.com | TrumpetForum.com

Looks like this doesn't work in vba 3.1rc1. Have you played around with it yet?
    Sir Robbie Rob
    Offroad Junkies

3.0 has built in options to allow you to add more columns.
    Admin CP => vBa CMPS => Default Setttings => Main Options => Location List

Good to see this is finally an easy option. I haven't upgraded yet, but look forward to the new versions. Less modules loading on a page the better.

Quote Originally Posted by uffauffa View Post
    Hi, thank you for this, but how can I do if I want only the first news single? I mean the first at the top single in the 100% table, and the other news below the first in the 50% table like in this example
    ________
    |___1___|
    |_2_|_3_|
    |_4_|_5_|

thank you
    I'm tired and its been awhile since I've done this with my vbadvanced, so bare with me.

Looking at your little detail there I'm going to renumber it for the sake of simplicity.

Okay. Buckle up!

LEFT COLUMN and RIGHT COLUMN are to be blank, zip, zero, nothing in them. We are only using CENTER column.

Build the following and save them. Do not make them "active". You'll go back and add them in later.

Name: <table> <tr> <td>
    Contents:
    Code:
    <table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0">
    <tr>
    <td>
    Name: </td></tr></table><table><tr><td 50%>
    Contents:
    Code:
    </td></tr></table>]<table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0">
    <tr>
    <td width="50%">
    Name: </td><td 50%>
    Contents:
    Code:
    </td><td width="50%">
    Name: </td></tr></table>
    Contents:
    Code:
    </td></tr></table>
    Alright. Now that those are built. Let's slide some shells around and find the peanut.

Open whatever page you plan on doing this to, and snag the following modules and set their values accordingly.

<table> <tr> <td> = 0
    Module 10 = 10
    </td></tr></table><table><tr><td 50%> = 15
    Module 20 = 20
    Module 30 = 30
    </td><td 50%> = 35
    Module 40 = 40
    Module 50 = 50
    </td></tr></table> = 99

Quick notes as an FYI. You don't have to list them as 1,2,3,4,5 6,7,8,9. They just have to be in numerical order, but not consecutive. So spread it out a bit for simplicity

Modules 0, 15, 35 and 99 are basically invisible. They are "within the code" structure building modules that won't appear. That's why its important to have the BORDER=0 and the cellpadding and cellspacing set to 0

Now you can add all the modules you want and just # them 21,22,23 and so forth.

I also had you build this as a center table and 2 columns instead of 3 rows because I've experience let's say Module 22 has a thread title fall onto 2 lines, if module 40 didn't have a module fall onto 2 lines, then you will start getting gaps under the modules because they are technically different heights.

This way, the only place that gaps will be noticeable, is at the very bottom of your page. And its no biggy there.

Let me know if this works for ya!

wow! this exactl what I've been looking for. can't wait to try it out with stuff. will post results (or questoins +_+ )

I tried doing the above so it looks like this

[-----]
    [--][--]

Unfortunately it stretches the top module past the dimensions of the actual forum. Any ideas?

I must be missing something

I have tried this hack a couple of times once morty's method the other based on brotherx's method... And nothing

I have followed the instructions to the letter not deviating and no change

This is something I am very interested in, we are going to be doing a make over on the site and this mod fits the bill.

Info:
    Running
    VB 3.6.4 Patched (upgrade coming)
    VBadvanced 2.2.1
    Minerskins Theme Fancy Grey (HTML and XML Compliant)

Issue:
    I see absolutly no change what so ever, Add the Hacks Set Open as 0 (or 1) Set closed as 5 (Lowest Number I want to have pages in

I set all my modules to display 1 - 4
    I set all my modules to display 6 - ?

In the page I want to test with, the page looks absolutely normal no split

Someone please shine light on marble head

JWL - If you upgrade to v3.0 RC2 of the CMPS, then all that's requried to add new columns (or locations) is changing a setting and modifying the 'adv_portal' template to add a new variable in the place you want modules in your new location to appear.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukas View Post
    I tried doing the above so it looks like this

[-----]
    [--][--]

Unfortunately it stretches the top module past the dimensions of the actual forum. Any ideas?
    Sounds like you started building per my steps BELOW the module block that is goofed. I'd need a link to your site to verify. Hopefully a visual will help me understand where you went wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by JWL View Post
    I must be missing something

I have tried this hack a couple of times once morty's method the other based on brotherx's method... And nothing

Issue:
    I see absolutly no change what so ever, Add the Hacks Set Open as 0 (or 1) Set closed as 5 (Lowest Number I want to have pages in

I set all my modules to display 1 - 4
    I set all my modules to display 6 - ?

In the page I want to test with, the page looks absolutely normal no split

Someone please shine light on marble head
    And you made sure you chose your default home page and SELECTED or TURNED ON those modules?

PM me a temp Admin access if you'd like and I'll take a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    JWL - If you upgrade to v3.0 RC2 of the CMPS, then all that's requried to add new columns (or locations) is changing a setting and modifying the 'adv_portal' template to add a new variable in the place you want modules in your new location to appear.
    I am still on RC1, so I can't verify this statement. In RC1, all you could do is add columns, but you couldn't create columns and rows and columns again like I am talking about.

Cool, I am at the start of doing a site make over, one of the tasks is to get updated with VBA3 and VB 3.6.8 and various stuff. I will look at that on my development site.

Morty
    I am pretty sure I followed everything to the letter, I will check again. I appreciate the offer I will look to set up a account for you. I am a bit busy this week so I put it on the back burner for now.

Quote Originally Posted by MortysTW View Post
    I am still on RC1, so I can't verify this statement. In RC1, all you could do is add columns, but you couldn't create columns and rows and columns again like I am talking about.
    You can add columns, rows, or whatever you would like in either RC1 or RC2. The only limit is your own ability to write up the HTML to position everything.

You can add columns, rows, or whatever you would like in either RC1 or RC2. The only limit is your own ability to write up the HTML to position everything.
    But that's altering the stock vBa templates right? That's kind of why I like my way of doing it, because its simple to alter and change my mind on a daily basis just by giving modules a different "Display Order" without ever actually tweaking or altering code or templates. Not that I am changing things on a daily basis, but regardless of upgrades and what not, my modules will always be there. Never accidentally overwriting my changes.

Part of why I love vBadvanced so much. The module system is great and allows so many options.

It involves modifying the 'adv_portal' template to add the new locations, but that's it. Since that template is pretty basic, I don't think it's really ever been changed significantly. You can still re-order modules and such for custom locations the same way as you can with the default locations too.

Boy, this would be perfect for what I'm looking to do. All I need is to have two seperate modules under a full sized module in the center column. I'm currently using the left column and center with nothing on the right. This would be what I'm looking to do....

|___1___| <--My current frontpage slideshow
    |___2___| <--My banner/mapped image module
    |_3_|_4_| <--Two smaller modules
    |_5_|_6_| <--Two additional 'future' modules

.....can someone give me step by step assistance on doing this with CMPS 3.0?

Quote Originally Posted by ArnyVee View Post
    Boy, this would be perfect for what I'm looking to do. All I need is to have two seperate modules under a full sized module in the center column. I'm currently using the left column and center with nothing on the right. This would be what I'm looking to do....

|___1___| <--My current frontpage slideshow
    |___2___| <--My banner/mapped image module
    |_3_|_4_| <--Two smaller modules
    |_5_|_6_| <--Two additional 'future' modules

.....can someone give me step by step assistance on doing this with CMPS 3.0?

Read post #49, which was done by me. Its the same thing. Only difference is you have two single blocks on the top instead of one.

So for step #2, which looks like this in Post #49:
    Code:
    </td></tr></table>]<table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0">
    <tr>
    <td width="50%">
    You would just need to actually slip in I guess you could say a step # 1 1/2. Need to add a step in between 1 & 2 to look like this:
    Code:
    </td></tr><tr><td>
    Which would be closing the first row and then opening a 2nd row. Which the original Step #2 would end up closing for you and the rest of Post #49 takes care of the rest.

Please read from the beginning of this thread and if you have any html understanding, I'm sure you'll sort it out.

Morty, thanks for the info!

I thought that since the upgrade there was a different way to do it. I'll try starting it now and see how far I get!

Thanks again!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information