Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Add MORE columns to vBadvanced

Default Re: Add MORE columns to vBadvanced

Morty, I got the 'basic' concept of yours, but couldn't get the other parts to work. I was able to get BrotherX's to work for me, but I still need the additional two modules under the ones that I have currently. Can you help me add an additional two modules under the two that are already there based off of BrotherX's instructions?

Thanks for your help on this great mod!

I haven't upgraded in a while due to not having any security issues to worry about, and I like how simple it is for me to build my layout like I have.

So, you may want to do a bit of research in some other threads. Either way, glad I could help.

Can anyone help me with adding an additional two columns based on brotherx's directions earlier in the thread?

With the latest version of CMPS --- there is a feature that allows for addtion of locations for modules.

Is there a way to automate for various number of columns/rows using this feature instead of creating templates for the additional table columns?

See graphic attached

Webber, will that new feature allow for two center columns next to each other?

Does this HACK apply to the newest VBA? If so, how do I get this to work? I feel so retarded. I can't get blocks to line up where I need them for nothing!

Default Yep

Ya, it still works. I'm still doing it.

Have you read the first 2 pages of this thread and tried it? Read the first 2 pages cuz other people's posts and questions in the beginning lead to good tips I think.

And need better description of what you mean "not lining up" after you've run through the first two pages.

Quote Originally Posted by Webber View Post
    With the latest version of CMPS --- there is a feature that allows for addtion of locations for modules.

Is there a way to automate for various number of columns/rows using this feature instead of creating templates for the additional table columns?

See graphic attached
    I honestly don't know. I haven't tried very much with this latest feature because the last time vbadvanced stated you can now make more stuff, it still didn't allow the flexibility of what I'm doing.

My way is a few more steps, but unless you are redesigning your pages every week, its done once and keeps working without issues.

My pages haven't broke, so I haven't had a need to change anything.

how to make the center column be like this:
    |___1___|
    |_3_|_2_|
    |_5_|_4_|

and my right and left column also work !

You don't do anything different than the steps I walk through. Keep your left and right blocks like normal, just do these steps for your CENTER column. Look at my site. www.MortysTwistedWorld.com

I've got my left and right columns turned on, but I play around with my center column area doing the steps I talk about in this post.

Go to post #49 which is one written by me. Do what I say there. Only difference is, you are going to keep your LEFT and your RIGHT columns turned on like normal by putting your desired blocks in those left and right columns. You just follow what I say in Post #49 for everything in your center column.

You can also read post #61 by me.

it works but custom tables appears uncached how to make them cached to avoid extra 4 queries

Quote Originally Posted by deathemperor View Post
    it works but custom tables appears uncached how to make them cached to avoid extra 4 queries
    Not sure. Sorry.

How can I get my vba to look like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Greek76 View Post
    How can I get my vba to look like this?

Read post #48 and then my response in post #49. Its the same thing basically.

Hey, I'm interested in knowing if this can be adapted to the cell layout I have diagrammed below. If so, how? Thanks!

__________ ________
    [____1____][___2___]
    __________ ________
    [____3____][___4___]
    _____ ____ _______
    [_5__] [_6_] [__7___]
    ___________ _______
    [____8_____][___9__]
    ___________ _______
    [___10_____][__11__]
    [___12_____][__13__]

Yes. Its a hell of a lot to type out. But please re-read the previous posts to understand how they had to structure there's to get what they want to get an understanding of what we're doing here.

But to briefly explain yours. EVERYTHING is going to be in the center column. You will have no left or right columns.

Going to simplify what you are showing because #3,4,10,11,12, and 13 are additional modules that have nothing to do with this really. You can place as many modules you want under that 10 and 12 or under the 11 and 13. Only different is if you have 10,12,14,16 on the left and only 11,13 on the right, you may have a huge gap on the lower right of your page. Unless 11 and 13 are taller than the mods on the left. So basically you build this.

[ 1 ][ 2 ]

[5][6][7]

[ 8 ][ 9]

To get your 1 & 2:
    Module that opens up the imaginary table with a TD at 50% because you have 2 columns your showing. Column 1 and Column 2.

Create a module that OPENS TABLE/ROW/COLUMN
    Then you have your Module #1
    Create a module that CLOSES COLUMN and opens another COLUMN @ 50%
    Then you have your Module #2
    Create a module that closes the table TD/TR/TABLE

Now to create the 5,6,7.

Create a module to Table OPEN with a TD at 33% since there are 3 modules taking up a THIRD ie. 33%
    Add your #5 module
    Create /TD TD = 33% module cuz you are closing the first of the 3 columns and opening a 2nd column for mod #6 to sit in
    Add your #6 module
    Create /TD TD = 33% module cuz you are closing the second of the 3 columns and opening a 3rd column for mod #7 to sit in
    Add your #7 module
    Create a module to close the column and the table /td/tr/table

Now to get your 8 & 9 column, you do the same exact thing you did for your #1 and #2 column.

Read posts #1, 38, 49 to understand the basics of building. Those are good posts. Not being a jerk, but if you can't grasp those, you're going to struggle with what you want too.

Don't really have the time to type your scenario out being that I'm at work. You should be able to grasp the concept from #1, 38, and 49 to create what you want easily though once you understand those.

Default Flowing Content

Morty:

Simply Outstanding work! Thought I was going nuts for a few minutes 'cos didn't work as was supposed to - but all columns seem to humm nicely now.

Thanks!

Now, question: Suggest I have this layout:

And I want to start a dynamic article, sourced from a blog for example, start in mod 1 and end in mod 2. Something like a spread in a magazine [multi-column spanning article]. To clarify: I am not talking about static content here but one copy that automatically spreads over two columns.

Perhaps best to describe it as follows. Say that both mod 1 and 2 allow for displaying the latest blog. Say that the latest blog runs 500 words. Whenever it becomes published it fills mod 1 [300 words, for example] and places the residual text in mod 2. [the remaining 200].

Any idea how to achieve this?

[heheheee - ain't that fun?]

Appreciate your help!
    Last edited by Mondi; 08-26-2008 at 08:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mondi View Post
    Morty:

Simply Outstanding work! Thought I was going nuts for a few minutes 'cos didn't work as was supposed to - but all columns seem to humm nicely now.

Thanks!

And I want to start a dynamic article, sourced from a blog for example, start in mod 1 and end in mod 2. Something like a spread in a magazine [multi-column spanning article]. To clarify: I am not talking about static content here but one copy that automatically spreads over two columns.

Perhaps best to describe it as follows. Say that both mod 1 and 2 allow for displaying the latest blog. Say that the latest blog runs 500 words. Whenever it becomes published it fills mod 1 [300 words, for example] and places the residual text in mod 2. [the remaining 200].

Any idea how to achieve this?
    I know what you are saying, and I've thought about that myself before but never started down the path to sort it out, but here's my idea on that. Keep in mind I don't want this thread to run off topic.

The typical news module has a "Read More" with a variable setting you can set that X amounts of words it cuts off. Well, was thinking that for your left module you do just that but delete the part that actually "displays" the words READ MORE so it just stops the article after X amount of words.

2nd block you reverse engineer that CUT OFF at X words and somehow place it at the beginning of the code and have it START at X amount of words into the post.

I bet if you go start a help thread with the concept I just described, someone probably can sort out the pieces. Send me a PM of that thread so I can follow it when I get the time.

And glad everything is working out for you on these columns!

Default Flowing Content

Thanks Morty,

Will give this a shot once my day-time job allows me to. Instructions are clear and will keep you updated through PMs.

May not happen in the next couple of days, or so......

Cheers mate!

Actually: got another question you may be able to help me with. Going back to the fundamentals I guess but this got me completely stumped. To stay in-topic:

http://www.vbadvanced.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31186
    Last edited by Mondi; 08-26-2008 at 11:02 PM.

How would I split the top row (#1 in your post 49) into a 75 & 25% 2 column one?

Have tried doing it myself but am a bit thick when it comes to working with html tables.

Also it seems to have screwed up the side columns, see attached, followed your instructions as per post 49 and have double checked everything.
    Last edited by CFodder; 08-30-2008 at 09:34 AM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information