Thread: General New Site Questions

Default General New Site Questions

Hi all,

I'm looking to re-design a website for a radio station that I did a long time ago. The site at present is completely hand coded with various modules etc. VBA looks complex enough to offer similar functionality and keep it all a bit more organised.

I am looking to create the new site with various levels of membership, going from guest, to non-paid member, to silver and gold members. Depending on what membership level they have, they will get different access to different parts of the site (music downloads, stream access, etc.).. Can someone tell me how possible this is? I am not fully aware of all the functions of vBulletin. I appreciate it supports paid things but not sure if/how VBA can integrate in with that.

I will need to find a theme and/or get it modified to suit the site as well as obtain a developer who can write modules for me as and when required. Does anyone have a recommendation on someone who can do this?

Thanks,
    Stu

Default Re: General New Site Questions

Quote Originally Posted by saqmaster
    VBA looks complex enough
    Ain't that the truth.

I am looking to create the new site with various levels of membership, going from guest, to non-paid member, to silver and gold members. Depending on what membership level they have, they will get different access to different parts of the site (music downloads, stream access, etc.).. Can someone tell me how possible this is? I am not fully aware of all the functions of vBulletin. I appreciate it supports paid things but not sure if/how VBA can integrate in with that.
    The short answer is "yes". vbAdvanced is fully integrated with vBulletins usergroup permissions, so you can define access at both the page and the "widget" (module) level.

If you need a more specific answer, you'll have to provide some more detailed examples. But on the whole, from your description I think the combination of vBulletin and vbA CMPS would provide everything you need.

I will need to find a theme and/or get it modified to suit the site as well as obtain a developer who can write modules for me as and when required. Does anyone have a recommendation on someone who can do this?
    There is a specific forum on vborg (here) for requesting paid modifications. I strongly suggest you read, mark, learn and inwardly digest the sticky posts in that forum before making any commitments!

For styles, there are a variety of professional designers out there, my personal recommendation would be www.vbstyles.com, but a few minutes with Google will yield any number of them. Obviously who you choose depends entirely on your (or your clients) taste.

-- hugh

Thanks for your comprehensive reply, Hugh.

When it comes to themes/styles, do normal VB ones have to be hacked up to work with VBA? I think the answer is yes but i'm not 100% sure.

Thanks for your comprehensive reply, Hugh.

When it comes to themes/styles, do normal VB ones have to be hacked up to work with VBA? I think the answer is yes but i'm not 100% sure.
    Nope, no hacking required. CMPS does a splendid job of integrating with vBulletin, styles 'n' all. Although I only use half a dozen styles on my live site, I've been through about 50 or 60 on my test box, and I've never had any style related problems with CMPS.

-- hugh

Thread Information