Thread: Right Column Not Aligning

Default Right Column Not Aligning

http://sociocide.com/cmps_index.php

As you can see, the news block pushes the right column down. I only want to do a 2 column, blog-style layout so I'm hoping this can work. Any ideas?

Avatars are 200x200 and they seem to be skewing some tables as well.

Default Re: Right Column Not Aligning

By any chance did you turn off the option to use the generic module shell in any of the modules on the front page?

Pretty much everything is default. I just installed this like 20 minutes ago.

Edit: Nope. Turned it off and it was worse.
    Last edited by Phrost; 09-14-2006 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    Pretty much everything is default. I just installed this like 20 minutes ago.

Edit: Nope. Turned it off and it was worse.
    If you're using the defaults, then leave the option turned on.

To rule out the BB code problem, go into the ACP edit the properties of the "News" module so that the Maximum Characters Display value is 0.

That fixes it, but I really need to limit the text because as a debate forum, the first posts are going to be somewhat lengthy.

This was one of the reasons why I installed VBA instead of VBDrupal, which can't limit the text in its news module.

Any help with this?

That fixes it, but I really need to limit the text because as a debate forum, the first posts are going to be somewhat lengthy.

This was one of the reasons why I installed VBA instead of VBDrupal, which can't limit the text in its news module.

Any help with this?
    Now that we know what we're dealing with try Brian's temporary patch in post #6 of this thread...

http://www.vbadvanced.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17625

No dice. Double checked the edits too.

No dice. Double checked the edits too.
    Looks like it's breaking in the midst of an anchor tag. No guarantees since I haven't played with that code that Brian posted yet but in the patch try finding...
    Code:
    $news['message'] = check_string_html($news['message'], '<table', '</table>');

... and below it insert...
    Code:
    $news['message'] = check_string_html($news['message'], '<span', '</span>');
    $news['message'] = check_string_html($news['message'], '<a', '</a>');

Still nothing.

Ok, so I limited the news results to one forum and it worked. That's not ideal as I'd rather it pull from a few forums, but it'll work for now.

I think it might be an issue with the AnyMedia hack.

Ok, so I limited the news results to one forum and it worked. That's not ideal as I'd rather it pull from a few forums, but it'll work for now.

I think it might be an issue with the AnyMedia hack.
    The offending bit of code is/was the thread that had something like "Oh, the humanity..." as the title. It was leaving an open span and anchor tag. When did you the above edit, did you have both lines in there (originally I only had the anchor tag in there but before you responded I went back and added the span tag).

Here's exactly what I have:

Code:
    				// Strip characters and add "read more"
                    if ($mod_options['portal_news_maxchars'] AND strlen($news['message']) > $mod_options['portal_news_maxchars'])
                    {
                        $news['message'] = substr($news['message'], 0, strrpos(substr($news['message'], 0, $mod_options['portal_news_maxchars']), ' '));

$news['message'] = check_string_html($news['message'], '<div', '</div>');
                        $news['message'] = check_string_html($news['message'], '<td', '</td>');
                        $news['message'] = check_string_html($news['message'], '<tr', '</tr>');
    		    $news['message'] = check_string_html($news['message'], '<span', '</span>'); $news['message'] = check_string_html($news['message'], '<a', '</a>');

$news['message'] .= '...' . construct_phrase($vbphrase['read_more'], $vbulletin->options['bburl'], $news['threadid'], $session['sessionurl']);
                    }

Seems to be working now. I upped the character limit to 2000 (ugh) and the AnyMedia block is now showing up fully. That thread in question had the [media] tags in there, so I'm guessing it was just something not parsed correctly due to the text being cut off at a certain point.

I don't expect you guys to support 3rd party hacks, even if this is one of the better ones they've got on VB.org. Thanks for your help.

Post a link to the hack... might be some more HTML tags in there that are not being accomodated in the patch code.

By the way, how do I get rid of:

"» News"

I hate those »'s and I can't find them anywhere in the phrases, templates, or the files.

Edit, I'd like to get rid of them everywhere actually. They remind me of a bad newsgroup discussion.

By the way, how do I get rid of:

"» News"

I hate those »'s and I can't find them anywhere in the phrases, templates, or the files.

Edit, I'd like to get rid of them everywhere actually. They remind me of a bad newsgroup discussion.
    You haven't explored the ACP options screens yet!

ACP => vBa CMPS => Default Settings => Module Title Bullet

Thanks again.

http://sociocide.com/cmps_index.php

As you can see, the news block pushes the right column down. I only want to do a 2 column, blog-style layout so I'm hoping this can work. Any ideas?

Avatars are 200x200 and they seem to be skewing some tables as well.
    bro, how come can you show the youtube in the cmps page ? my use anymedia and it didnt show the video player in the news cmps, please show me how just like yrs cmps page. thanks

Either it's straight HTML embedding or the auto-parser one of our site developers set up.

Thread Information