Thread: Automatically collect Link description

Smile Automatically collect Link description

People are so lazy and this means site links are added with no or poor descriptions.

I wonder if there is a way to automate the description say from google or Alexa when the link is included i.e. "Get Alexa/Google Site Description"

Alternatively is there a method to force a description without which link cannot be submitted.

thanks

Default Re: Automatically collect Link description

Yep, that'll be in Links 2.0.x that'll be released shortly. If you want to see it in action then add a new link either at one of Brian's personal sites or at Cool SciFi (link below). What it does is grab the meta description and keywords directly from the site that is being added.

If you go on a link detail and try down previous or next there's an error: Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms. %1$s
    But so far I can not really see too many changes, expect the thumbs but thats custom made by yourself I think?

Quote Originally Posted by Ramses View Post
    If you go on a link detail and try down previous or next there's an error: Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms. %1$s
    HHhmm.... I may may have messed up the templates. I use that site for testing stuff and some stuff is tweaked a bit.

EDIT: Mind letting me know which entry exactly you were looking at? The problem isn't happening for me.

EDIT #2: Never mind, I see it now. It only happens when viewing the details from the links shown on the front page in the new/random section. When I get home I'll see if it's a template problem or a bug.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramses View Post
    But so far I can not really see to many changes, expect the thumbs but thats custom made by you I think?
    http://www.vbadvanced.com/forum/show...&postcount=106
    Last edited by KW802; 09-28-2006 at 06:22 PM.

Thanks KW802 just can't wait

One other issue what is the best way to add an image of the linked site home page or is that also in v2.0 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Icehawk002 View Post
    Thanks KW802 just can't wait

One other issue what is the best way to add an image of the linked site home page or is that also in v2.0 ?
    Thumbnails is not a stock feature. I've talked to Brian about possibly integrating Thumbshots.org into a future version but I think he wants to see how much of a demand there is for that functionality before he adds it to his To Do list.

Thumbshots.org is the only free source I know of but if anybody knows of other locations please let us know so we can check them out.

Ok, for me the best new features are the capturing of the metadatas and a (working, now it's not) verify Links option, thanks.
    Ah, btw. what means shortly?
    Thumbsites:
    http://www.artviper.net/screenshots/screener.php?&url=
    This one is catching a fresh screenshot, but a backlink on the footer is requiered, also there's http://www.girafa.com/
    Last edited by Ramses; 09-28-2006 at 07:14 PM.

Thread Information