Thread: How to expand the size of a module

Default How to expand the size of a module

Hello

I made a custom module for putting my forum links into and when I get to the fifth link instead of putting the new link on a new line it puts it to the right of the previous link. Example:

Link1
    Link2
    Link3
    Link 4 Link5

How do I increase the size of the module to accommodate the rest of the links?
    thanks

Default Re: How to expand the size of a module

Don't you think a link to the page where you're having the problem would help so we could see the source code?

If you're allowing HTML and using HTML, did you set the list up with <ul><li></li></ul> code? Or maybe you could have used <div></div> for each item, which would automatically break to a new line. Maybe you are using only BBCode and forgot to hit Enter before the last item. It would be easier if you showed us the page with the module so we don't have to play guessing games.

Jim
    If my post was helpful to you, or made you or ,
    please take the time to register at my forum and ask
    a question you've always wanted to know about floors.

The code in red is the one that's not dropping down. The Jazz link should be on the next line down. ( In the pic) The sites not open yet

Thanks

<a href="http://www.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.c-m/forumdisplay.php?f=44">Ethnic/World<a>
    </div>

<a href="http://www.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.c-m/forumdisplay.php?f=33">Jazz<a>
    </div>

</td>
    </tr>
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by The dman; 12-07-2006 at 04:31 PM.

Well, apparently it's a super secret site that we can't have a look at the source code. I'm gonna have to take a guess that the code you gave above is written exactly that way in the module, which is why it doesn't break to the next line. If you would have posted a link to your super secret site, there wouldn't be any guessing about it.

Anywayyyy... try this instead of what you got:
    Code:
    <div><a href="http://www.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.c-m/forumdisplay.php?f=44">Ethnic/World<a></div>
    <div><a href="http://www.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.c-m/forumdisplay.php?f=33">Jazz<a></div>
    I don't know what those trailing </td></tr> are for, so if you need them to close a table row and a table data, use them. If, like your closed DIVs, you don't have an open table data and row, then your code might be broken even more.

Now I'm curious: what in blazes is so secret about your site that you can't give those who try to help you a link?

Jim
    PS: vB has a lot of great features to format your messages. Please use the BBCode to your and our advantage.

Now I'm curious: what in blazes is so secret about your site that you can't give those who try to help you a link?
    LOL No it's not a secret site. To be honest I'm a rookie wuth this stuff (as if you couldn't tell) and #1 the sites not open yet and #2 when you said you wanted to look at the source code I wasn't sure what you meant, I don't know the protocol yet for all this stuff. Plus us rookies (at least me)can be a little intimidated by you guys that know what's going on, espicially when we ask basic questions. Luckily the vbulletin communities that I've been dealing with seem to have a lot of helpful people and not condensending jerks.

Anyway thanks for the info, it did work.

P.S. What did you mean exactly by viewing the source code?

Quote Originally Posted by The dman View Post
    P.S. What did you mean exactly by viewing the source code?
    It 'normally' refers to being able to look at the actual HTML used on the page. Unless, of course, one's talking about a php module.
    Tom Morris
    Porsche Boxster discussion forum.
    Today's Conservative discussion forum.

Yes, what Tom said. But the code I was looking for, even if it was in a PHP file, is generated as HTML/XHTML, etc. I don't know anything about writing PHP, but the underlying markup (html code) I know enough about to be able to help sometimes. In your case, the open DIV's were missing, which is why your line didn't break.

We were all rookies once and all in similar situations -- looking for help. It didn't take long for me to learn that if I wanted help, I was going to have to provide complete information. Some sites that offer support, lay out exactly what's needed, some don't. Even those that do, say in a sticky topic like a "Read this first...", rarely get read anyway. People in a hurry usually take the longest to help.

I'm glad that worked for you. I like helping out like that. But I get frustrated with some who leave out pertinent information. Heck, we might even see something else that can help with an issue you wouldn't even know about.

As for those who say they aren't open yet, unless they have taken measures to block access, including denying access even to search engine spiders, you are open. And the sooner you can get your problems sorted, the sooner your SE indexed pages will be filled with content rather than mistakes. You can always turn off registrations until you are ready.

Good luck with your site,

Jim

Thread Information