Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Local weather

Default Re: Local weather

Quote Originally Posted by ArnyVee View Post
    Thanks!

Installed on 3.6.8 patch level 2 as well. Looks like the 'default' piece worked, but even after the profile is updated with the local zip, it shows the Orlando, FL 'default' option.
    Please post your template code the way you have it so I can see where your problem is.

Quick question....how can you place two 'default' locations? My site is a Walt Disney related forum and I'd like for Orlando, FL AND Anaheim, CA to be default locations. Is that possible?
    If I understand it correctly, you want three weather modules shown at all times - 1 for Orlando, 1 for Anaheim and 1 for whatever the user's ZIP is, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by theczech View Post
    Please post your template code the way you have it so I can see where your problem is.
    <tr>
    <td class="alt2" align="center">
    <if condition="$bbuserinfo[FIELD5] == '' ">
    Weather information for Orlando,FL:<br>
    <script src="http://netwx.accuweather.com/netweatherV2.asp?zipcode=32830&lang=eng&size=5&metric=0"></script><br><br>
    <if condition="$bbuserinfo[userid] > '0' ">
    Would you like to see your local weather?<br>
    <br>
    Click <a href="$vboptions[bburl]/profile.php?do=editprofile">here</a> and enter your zipcode into your profile. <br>
    <br>
    Every time you come back to our website your local weather will be displayed.
    </if>
    <if condition="$bbuserinfo[userid] == '0'">
    Would you like to see weather info for your location?<br>
    <br>
    Please <a href="$vboptions[bburl]/register.php?">register</a> with our website and remember to fill in your zipcode.<br>
    <br>
    </if>
    <else />
    <script src="http://netwx.accuweather.com/netweatherV2.asp?zipcode=$bbuserinfo[FIELD5]&lang=eng&size=5&metric=0"></script>
    </if>
    </td>
    </tr>

If I understand it correctly, you want three weather modules shown at all times - 1 for Orlando, 1 for Anaheim and 1 for whatever the user's ZIP is, correct?
    You are correct.

Just like one of the users here on the previous page, you need to make that FIELD5 lowercase ... field5 ... don't know why but it does matter. I'm guessing that will take care of that.

For the 2 default weather blocks I suggest (if I may) to just create a separate module that wouldn't care at all whether the user is logged in or not, and just show the weather for the two locations:

Code:
    <tr>
    Weather information for Orlando,FL:<br>
    <script src="http://netwx.accuweather.com/netweatherV2.asp?zipcode=Orlando,FL&lang=eng&size=5&metric=0"></script><br><br>
    <script src="http://netwx.accuweather.com/netweatherV2.asp?zipcode=Anaheim,CA&lang=eng&size=5&metric=0"></script>
    </td>
    </tr>
    I hope that helps for now. I won't be on this weekend, I'm having a surgery tomorrow morning, wish me luck and I'll check back towards the end of next week.

I'll try it out.

Good luck with the surgery!

Thanks.

Well, I went for just the Anaheim and Orlando ones.

They look good to me when I did a little adjusting. Check it out on the right towards the bottom. (Link is in sig line)

Code:
    <tr>
    Weather information for Disneyland:<br><br>
    <script src="http://netwx.accuweather.com/netweatherV2.asp?zipcode=Anaheim,CA&lang=eng&size=5&metric=0"></script><br><br>
    Weather information for Walt Disney World:<br><br>
    <script src="http://netwx.accuweather.com/netweatherV2.asp?zipcode=Orlando,FL&lang=eng&size=5&metric=0"></script><br><br>
    </td>
    </tr>
    Thanks for the help!

Is it possible to use a date parameter to return the forecast rather than the weather now?

IE. today is Wednesday, I want to show what the weather will be on Saturday. 19 Apr 2008.

Well, I went for just the Anaheim and Orlando ones.

They look good to me when I did a little adjusting. Check it out on the right towards the bottom. (Link is in sig line)

Thanks for the help!
    Yes, they do look good, and you're welcome for the help.

So now, that you're not showing weather customized to each user, you can actually get rid of the custom userfiled for ZIP code ... or you can still do custom weather in a seperate module, for example in a block right underneath your exisiting one. We can make it so if the user doesn't have a ZIP or isn't logged in, it would just show info that he/she could be seeing their local weather. Up to you ...

Very nice website, by the way! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by rwoscott View Post
    Is it possible to use a date parameter to return the forecast rather than the weather now?

IE. today is Wednesday, I want to show what the weather will be on Saturday. 19 Apr 2008.
    Not to my knowledge. If you find a different weather website that allowes for a widget like this, you're welcome to implement it this code.

It would be cool though, I could use it for some of my websites ...

Not to my knowledge. If you find a different weather website that allowes for a widget like this, you're welcome to implement it this code.

It would be cool though, I could use it for some of my websites ...
    Unfortunately, I haven't. I run a football site so it would be nice to know the weather conditions on gameday rather than today.

The closest I've found is http://www.weatherzone.com.au/about/...therbutton.jsp which will give me a forecast of the next 24 hours.

It's also an Australian weather site which suits me, but may not suit you guys.

Update: See the bottom of this post.

I'm running vB 3.7.1 and vBa v3.0.1. I seem to be running into the same problem others have had: showing the default weather.
    www.skywarnforum.org

Here's my code:
    <tr>
    <if condition="$bbuserinfo[FIELD7] == '' ">
    Weather information for Norman, OK:<br>
    <script src="http://netwx.accuweather.com/netweatherV2.asp?zipcode=73072&lang=eng&size=3&metric=0"></script><br><br>
    Would you like to see a weather info for your location?<br>
    <br>
    Click <a href="$vboptions[bburl]/profile.php?do=editprofile">here</a> and enter your zipcode into your profile. <br>
    <br>
    </if>
    <br>
    Please <a href="$vboptions[bburl]/register.php?">register</a> with our website and remember to fill in your zipcode.<br>
    <br>
    </if>
    <else />
    <script src="http://netwx.accuweather.com/netweatherV2.asp?zipcode=$bbuserinfo[FIELD7]&lang=eng&size=3&metric=0"></script>
    </if>
    </td>
    </tr>
    I changed FIELD7 to field7 in both areas and everything works fine.
    Last edited by Chimpie; 05-28-2008 at 04:41 PM.

This is a great mod, but I noticed that the links inside the image aren't clickable. It appears that they are, even the mouse cursor thinks it is, but nothing happens when I click.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Chimpie View Post
    This is a great mod, but I noticed that the links inside the image aren't clickable. It appears that they are, even the mouse cursor thinks it is, but nothing happens when I click.

Thoughts?
    I went to the website you posted in your previous post (http://www.skywarnforum.org) and all the links inside the image that appear clicable actually are clickable for me. I clicked on every single one of them and they took me to the appropriate place.

To be exact, when i clicked on ...

... the city ... it took me to the weather info for that city ...
    ... hourly info ... it took me to the hourly info for that city ...
    ... 15 days ... it took me to the 15 day forecast for that city ...
    ... register ... it took me to the register page ... (i didn't complete the registration)

Okay, so it looks like it's a Firefox problem. I just tested it in IE and it works like you said, but it doesn't in FF. Can you confirm?

Okay, so it looks like it's a Firefox problem. I just tested it in IE and it works like you said, but it doesn't in FF. Can you confirm?
    I tried in FF.
    At first the links didn't work, but for some reason, when I came back the the page a few seconds (like 30) later, they did work. Maybe the page needs to finish loading in FF before the links become active? Or FF "examins" the links to make sure it's not a phishing or some other kind of scam? I'm just guessing here, but it seems like that's a FF problem with the way it displays pages and links on them ... Give it a try again and see the links work for you after the pages finishes loading completely.
    Last edited by theczech; 05-29-2008 at 07:34 AM.

Here is a CORRECT example:

Code:
    <tr>
    <if condition="$bbuserinfo[field5] == '' ">
    Weather information for 27616:<br>
    <script src="http://netwx.accuweather.com/netweatherV2.asp?zipcode=27616&lang=eng&size=1&metric=0"></script>
    Would you like to see a weather info for your location?<br>
    <br>
    <br>
    </if>
    <br>
    <br>
    </if>
    <else />
    <script src="http://netwx.accuweather.com/netweatherV2.asp?zipcode=$bbuserinfo[field5]&lang=eng&size=1&metric=0"></script>
    </if>
    </td>
    </tr>

Quote Originally Posted by caliman View Post
    Here is a CORRECT example:
    Can you define correct? What was your correction?

Can you define correct? What was your correction?
    It works.
    The one in the 1st post is a mess... if statements mismatched, etc..

It works.
    The one in the 1st post is a mess... if statements mismatched, etc..
    Dear Caliman,
    while I appreciate you using my code and trying to help, I have to say, you're pissing me off. My code (in the first post) WORKS JUST FINE, if you modify it the way I have described in the first post. Which is what you did. All you did was took my code, plugged in your zip and field, just as I instructed, and then slammed me here with your "correct" code, accussing me of posting a code that is "a mess", with "statements mismatched". Yes, your version of the code is exactly what one should do if using my instructions, but you didn't correct anything. There is nothing to correct. You just used my code as directed.

I have to say, to me you come across as arrogant, ignorant, unappreciative and condescending. And obviously, you didn't do much reading.

So, please, don't do any more of your "correcting" my code.

Thank you.
    Last edited by theczech; 06-04-2008 at 06:28 AM.

I hope you feel better now.

Nice mod.

I hope you feel better now.

Nice mod.

I do.

Thanks.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information