Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Converting?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    7

    Default Converting?

    I am currently using a Subdreamer CMS with a VBboard and I am thinking of switching to VBAdvanced. Anyone done this....how difficult is it to switch over from one CMS to this one?

  2. #2
    Administrator Brian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    34,463

    Default Re: Converting?

    What exactly is it from Subdreamer that you would like to convert? And can you post a link to your current site so we can get a better idea of what might be required?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    7

    Default Re: Converting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    What exactly is it from Subdreamer that you would like to convert? And can you post a link to your current site so we can get a better idea of what might be required?
    I dont really want to "Convert" the Subdreamer..I want to eliminate it and replace it with VBadvance. I wish I would have known about this site before I purchased the SDCms. It's a good CMS but its kinda buggy and the support is terrible. I have been trying to get the WYSIWYG editors with it to work right for months (which is why the font looks like crap) , and the Video player is hit an miss at best. I love the features...if they all worked as advertised...any way I am rambling.

    The SDCms is in my root. It shares the same database with my VBboard and is integrated. I want to eliminate the SD and replace it with advance.

    My database for the most part is indexed either SD_ or VB_ so I think it would not be that hard. Famous last words here, I am thinking I could move my Forum to the root. I guess I am looking for a first step kinda answer, how to best begin this...what to do in what order? Hit the Forum tab to go to the forum.

    http://bamauniverse.com/

  4. #4
    Cannabalistic Lemur geoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    162

    Default Re: Converting?

    if youd like,,,there is a demo of how your theme would look like with vba on vbskinworks.com

    CMPS is easy to install....I figured it out ...and that's saying a LOT :0

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    7

    Default Re: Converting?

    Quote Originally Posted by geoff View Post
    if youd like,,,there is a demo of how your theme would look like with vba on vbskinworks.com

    CMPS is easy to install....I figured it out ...and that's saying a LOT :0
    Thanks, thats where the skin came from for the VB board. I mean heck getting rid of the CMS is prety straight forward I would think. Just move the forum to my root and delete the SubDreamer files. I guess it;s the Database that worries me, they share the same one and its integrated. I would need to bring it to a point where the board is running by itself, easier saod than done.

  6. #6
    Administrator Brian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    34,463

    Default Re: Converting?

    What you're trying to do doesn't sound like anything that's going to be too hard. The CMPS can be fully installed and running without affecting your forums or your users knowing that it's there, so this is what I would suggest...

    1). Make a backup of your current database just to be safe.

    2). Downlaod the CMPS from here and install it. Installation is mostly just a matter of editing one of the CMPS files to add the path to your forums, uploading some files, and then running an install script to make the database changes. As long as you're somewhat familiar with installing scripts, the whole process shouldn't take more than 5-10 minutes. Also note that the CMPS can be run from anywhere on your server, so there's no need to move your forums to your root directory or anything like that.

    3). Confirm that the CMPS is working, change any settings you would like, and just bascially get it ready to go live.

    4). When you're ready to make the switch and have the CMPS setup as you would like, go ahead and make another backup of your database, again, just to be safe. Once that's done, you should be able to go live with the CMPS as your new portal.

    5). Uninstall Subdreamer. That part I can't give you any tips on since I've never used the product. I wouldn't imagine that you would have any problems with it, but if you did, then of course you should have your recent database backup to fall back on.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    7

    Default Re: Converting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    What you're trying to do doesn't sound like anything that's going to be too hard. The CMPS can be fully installed and running without affecting your forums or your users knowing that it's there, so this is what I would suggest...

    1). Make a backup of your current database just to be safe.

    2). Downlaod the CMPS from here and install it. Installation is mostly just a matter of editing one of the CMPS files to add the path to your forums, uploading some files, and then running an install script to make the database changes. As long as you're somewhat familiar with installing scripts, the whole process shouldn't take more than 5-10 minutes. Also note that the CMPS can be run from anywhere on your server, so there's no need to move your forums to your root directory or anything like that.

    3). Confirm that the CMPS is working, change any settings you would like, and just bascially get it ready to go live.

    4). When you're ready to make the switch and have the CMPS setup as you would like, go ahead and make another backup of your database, again, just to be safe. Once that's done, you should be able to go live with the CMPS as your new portal.

    5). Uninstall Subdreamer. That part I can't give you any tips on since I've never used the product. I wouldn't imagine that you would have any problems with it, but if you did, then of course you should have your recent database backup to fall back on.
    Great advice!

    Cople of questions and I should be good to go.

    1. With my VBboard reporting log in info and who is online and recent posts to the Subdreamer CMS, do you forsee a conflict with having the VBadvance running in tandem with it for the short time untill I delete the Subdreamer CMS?

    2. Is there a option to disable viewing the VBadvance untill I have all the settings tweaked?

    3. The way you describe it, I could in theory I could have both running at the same time. I have seen some sites with this config. They have a standard HTML static page running with links to the forum. When you click the forum tab it brings up the VBadvance CMS. This would be ideal untill I slowly start removing the Subdreamer CMS, or leave it up in a bare bones version like a home page or intro page. Yes No Maybe?

  8. #8
    Administrator Brian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    34,463

    Default Re: Converting?

    1). There shouldn't be any problems there. The CMPS really just reads data from your vBulletin database, so there's nothing that should affect your posts and such in Subdreamer.

    2). Though there are a few files with the CMPS, the cmps_index.php file that comes with the download package is the only one that's used to actually view the CMPS. So until you rename that file to index.php or add a link to it, your users should never know it's there. Or, if you're really concerned with making sure your users can't see the CMPS, there are also permission settings with each page of the CMPS that could be used to block access as well.

    3). There shouldn't be any reason that you could not run both simultaneously for as long as you would like.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    7

    Default Re: Converting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    1). There shouldn't be any problems there. The CMPS really just reads data from your vBulletin database, so there's nothing that should affect your posts and such in Subdreamer.

    2). Though there are a few files with the CMPS, the cmps_index.php file that comes with the download package is the only one that's used to actually view the CMPS. So until you rename that file to index.php or add a link to it, your users should never know it's there. Or, if you're really concerned with making sure your users can't see the CMPS, there are also permission settings with each page of the CMPS that could be used to block access as well.

    3). There shouldn't be any reason that you could not run both simultaneously for as long as you would like.
    Thanks Brian...you have been a great help. I wish I could get this kind of support for the thing I paid a couple hundred bucks for.

  10. #10
    Senior Member towermatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    516

    Default Re: Converting?

    Isn't that the truth, that's why I will use the products here if I can from now on.

    I am big on customer service.

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    7

    Default Re: Converting?

    Been meaning to get back over here and say thanks for making a great product. My new CMS is up and running and the install was a breeze! I am redirecting the site as I slowly dismantle the Subdreamer CMS. Found out a single page minimum plugin SDCMS causes 51 querries on the database. WTH! Save your money and go with VBadvanced!

    Anyway, thanks again for the support. Oh and whatcha think?

    Bamauniverse.com

  12. #12
    Administrator Brian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    34,463

    Default Re: Converting?

    51 queries for one module? Must have been coded by someone very new to PHP. You could enable every default CMPS moudle and still only have about 1/2 as many queries.

    Looks good with the CMPS added.
    *coughGoDawgscough*

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Converting Phpbb 2.0.19
    By DADDYGRIM in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-09-2006, 02:11 PM
  2. Converting Styles VB to VBA
    By TODO in forum "How Do I..." Questions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-20-2006, 10:51 PM
  3. Converting Forums index.php
    By Globalbuzz in forum Troubleshooting / "How do I..." Questions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-22-2004, 01:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •