Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [Module] Members who have visited the forum

Default [Module] Members who have visited the forum

This simple module requires that the similarly named product by Paul M be installed first. The version for vb 3.6.x can be found here.

Once this is installed and configured (see below) just install this module into CMPS and you are good to go. This makes direct use of the global_start plugin and does make an assumption that there aren't any other plugins that will conflict.

For this version to work with CMPS it is necessary to configure the plugin to show on all pages. This is done via the ACP...

ACP -> vBulletin Options -> Who Has Visited Today -> Code Option -> Run Code on all pages

Edit the adv_portal_active_users template to say whatever you wish. Alternatively, you may use the Display_Vistors template that comes with the plugin - simply change the reference in the todays_users.php module. There's no need to add it to the module definition as it's already cached.

Revisions

9/14/2007
    Revised php code to no longer need the global definition with vBa as this conflicted when needing to have the Process PHP File Modules Within A Function set to 'Yes.' The updated version now work with the setting is either Yes or No.

9/11/2007
    Revised php code to make use of the global data available via the plugin. To update, delete the existing version then install the new version replacing any existing files/templates.
    Last edited by Tom M; 09-14-2007 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Updated module file

Default Re: [Module] Members who have visited the forum

Ok because your instructions in my book are very NOT clear... I have to ask why I get this error when I activate this module:

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare construct_jump2() (previously declared in /xxxxxx/xx/xxxxxxx/docs/forum/global.php(356) : eval()'d code:31) in /xxxxxx/xx/xxxxxxx/docs/forum/modules/todays_users.php(3) : eval()'d code on line 31

What did I miss? I do have Paul Ms installed already. Maybe a conflict with something else?

Quote Originally Posted by yotsume View Post
    Ok because your instructions in my book are very NOT clear...
    Sure know a good way to ask for help, eh? The module is really very, very simple so I didn't include all the basic step-by-step installation on how to install a module.

What versions of vb and vBa are you running? Based on the error message I'm guessing it's not 3.6.8 as the line numbers don't match up.

What other plugins do you have that have global_start as the hook location?

EDIT: It looks like you must have the Forum Jump In Navbar hack installed. If so, you should be able to get rid of the error by wrapping the construct_jump2 function in a conditional. Open that specific plugin and in front of the function declaration add
    PHP Code:
    if(!function_exists('construct_jump2'))

After the function close add another '}' without the quotes.

You'll probably also need to do the same thing for the jumpforumbits2html function - just change the function name in the above if(...) example.
    Last edited by Tom M; 09-11-2007 at 03:38 AM.
    Tom Morris
    Porsche Boxster discussion forum.
    Today's Conservative discussion forum.

Aaa I am on 3.6.4 and CMPS v3.0 RC1

As for the other plug I might have using global_start I have no Idea... there an easy way to check?

See my update in the prior post.

To check what plugins use which hook locations use the ACP -> Plugins & Products -> Plugin Manager and the hook locations will be displayed.
    Tom Morris

I have a number of plugins that use that hook. Your edit to the forum jump plugin kills the plugin. The menu will not popup with your edit instructions in place.

Oh I am sorry if my request for help seems rude but if people knew how to write clear instructions there would be 1000s of less posts on the forum!

People assume to much and it would be best to write instructions by taking the time to include all levels of user. I feel this needs to be a rule on this forum. If you make an addition in anyway to the vBadvanced products there should be some rules set for posting your additions with CLEAR instructions for all levels of users.

Again I am NOT being rude just blunt! I hope you consider rewriting your posts. If you put some more energy into making a clear first post you will NOT have to waste more time explaining what you mean.

vBadvanced forum is littered with poor instructions and posts all over. Good intentions yes... poor writing skills BIG TIME!

I will get this sorted out an implemented on my older board... Again I have a number of plugins as will many that use that hook location. That version of Forum Jump Menu is older as well but runs on pre 3.6.8 boards...

I have a number of plugins that use that hook. Your edit to the forum jump plugin kills the plugin. The menu will not popup with your edit instructions in place.
    If the edit was applied correctly it should NOT kill the plugin as all the edit does is make sure that the function can only be defined once. The only other possibility is that there's some other interaction or change that is needed due to it being a plugin. Since I don't have that hack installed it makes it a bit tougher to troubleshoot and I guess my being proactive and looking it up for you and trying to provide a solution doesn't get any points.

I fully support the modules I create but am no longer willing to document to a level that complete novices need. Users need to be willing to do a bit of learning before taking on more advanced capabilities and not rely on other people holding their hands all the way through the process. Truthfully, I have done modules with detailed installation/configuration instructions and still gotten very basic questions even though it was covered in the write up. As far as support goes, I reply promptly to requests and even take on the task of making it work for people if they don't have enough experience to get it working on their own.

If you desire additional assistance with this I'm perfectly willing to provide it, including doing the edits for you to make sure things work properly.
    Tom Morris

I will deactivate the jump menu and test your module.

Like I said there needs to be forum rules set for submissions. Your work might be good but would be great if documented correctly... Oh you support gets points... But again you will have to provide maybe more support then was needed if DOCUMENTED CORRECTLY! LOL

OK! It is 100% the "Forum Jump Menu". Your mod works perfect now.

So what can I send you or post to help with how I need to add your code changes so I have a better clue to fix up the jump menu mod?

Attached is the Forum Jump Menu code in a text file.

I am not sure how to make your changes...
    Last edited by yotsume; 09-11-2007 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Removed attachemnet because the problem was solved

Attached is the Forum Jump Menu code in a text file.

I am not sure how to make your changes...
    Rather than mess with that I've revised the module to (hopefully) eliminate any conflicts while still using the hook code. Download and install the updated version from the first post and overwrite the existing versions of the templates, php file, etc.
    Tom Morris

Installed New Version!

That fixed the conflict with the Forum Jump menu. Thank you very much it all looks great!

I have one question... What is the difference if any between the two templates: 1) adv_portal_active_users and 2) Display_Vistors?

I've tried both in your module and they both work and look the same on my forum...

In your updated instructions I would change them and tell people that it is better to actually delete the previous module and template before updating because the update makes a second module that you will have to make a new identifier for. It does not perfectly overwrite.
    Last edited by yotsume; 09-11-2007 at 02:25 PM.

I have one question... What is the difference if any between the two templates: 1) adv_portal_active_users and 2) Display_Vistors?

I've tried both in your module and they both work and look the same on my forum...
    They are indeed very similar from a display standpoint when used as just the "Who visited today" scenario. However (this goes back a ways and I'd have to look up what it took) the adv_portal_active_users template can also be used in combination with the who's online module and still function properly.
    Tom Morris

Tom,

I'm having the same issue as I was in the previos version of this module. Its uploaded and showing on the page. Its the expandable block that will collapse and has Today's Visitors and Registered Visitors but its not showing any of the names of the visitors. This Paul M install is working fine bvulletin pages

Quote Originally Posted by cmb7684 View Post
    Tom,

I'm having the same issue as I was in the previos version of this module. Its uploaded and showing on the page. Its the expandable block that will collapse and has Today's Visitors and Registered Visitors but its not showing any of the names of the visitors. This Paul M install is working fine bvulletin pages
    Did you add the global variables (totaltoday and whotoday) to the list as instructed in the first post?
    Tom Morris

cool mod, thanks

Manor Guest

For anybody that doesn't have the above stated product, here's a quick fix.

Add this code before the "$whotoday = ..." statement in the "todays_users.php" file.
    Code:
    $visitorsq = $db->query_read("SELECT * FROM " . TABLE_PREFIX . "user WHERE lastvisit >= " . (time() - 86400) . " ORDER BY lastvisit DESC");
    $totaltoday = $db->num_rows($visitorsq);
    $whotoday = '';
    $comma = '';

while($v = $db->fetch_array($visitorsq))
    {
    	$whotoday .= $comma . '<a href="member.php?' . $session['sessionurl'] . 'u=' . $v['userid']. '" rel="nofollow">' . $v['username'] . '</a>';
    	$comma = ', ';
    }

the carriage return that looks like this? <'totaltoday'><'whotoday'>

Quote Originally Posted by Manor View Post
    For anybody that doesn't have the above stated product, here's a quick fix.

Add this code before the "$whotoday = ..." statement in the "todays_users.php" file.
    While I appreciate that you are trying to help, most of the people looking for this mod also want to have the data available on the FORUMHOME page - which is waht the Paul M plugin does. That's why this version makes use of the plugin code as the queries are already being run. So please don't recommend modifying this module w/o getting permission first as it's considered bad form.

As an aside, in the current version of vb it's recommended to use $db->query_read_slave() instead of $db->query_read() to increase performance on heavily loaded systems.
    Tom Morris

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information