Thread: Banner module above all others

Default Banner module above all others

I'd like to have a module spread across all three columns (or maybe just two...) above all the other modules. It would basically just be a bunch of text explaining stuff about the club that the site is for. Is this possible? If so, how would I set that up?

I'd also like this module to only be seen by unregistered users and registered members who aren't in the club members usergroup.

Default Re: Banner module above all others

The best way to do that is probably going to be to edit your 'Location List' setting through the Admin CP to add a new location, and then edit your 'adv_portal' template (as instructed in the description for that setting) to add the location at the top above the rest of your modules.

How about an example of the code required to make this happen? This is a fairly common request and I've yet to see a "how-to". Unfortunately not everyone trying to achieve this is an html or css or php coder.

Brian, thanks for the help! I got it workin'!!

Quote Originally Posted by trboxman View Post
    How about an example of the code required to make this happen? This is a fairly common request and I've yet to see a "how-to". Unfortunately not everyone trying to achieve this is an html or css or php coder.
    Maybe later I'll write up something more pretty but here is what I did:

Follow Brian's directions about adding the location. Go to AdminCP > vBa CMPS > Default Settings > Main Options > Location List

Since I wanted mine across/above all three columns, I called the VarName "top" and the title "Span Top"

Then, go to your adv_portal template for the style that you want to edit. The easiest way to do this is to go to AdminCP > Styles & Templates > Search in Templates and search for "adv_portal" by title only. It will be the first template on the resulting list. Edit the template.

Find:
    Code:
    <table align="center" class="page" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" width="100%">
    	<tr valign="top">
    		<if condition="$show['left_column']">
    			<td width="$vba_style[portal_leftcolwidth]"<if condition="$show['center_column'] OR $show['right_column']"> style="padding-$stylevar[right]: $vba_style[portal_colspacing]px"</if>>
    				$home[leftblocks]
    			</td>
    		</if>
    		<if condition="$show['center_column']">
    			<td valign="top">
    				$home[centerblocks]
    			</td>
    		</if>
    		<if condition="$show['right_column']">
    			<td valign="top" width="$vba_style[portal_rightcolwidth]"<if condition="$show['center_column'] OR $show['left_column']"> style="padding-$stylevar[left]: $vba_style[portal_colspacing]px"</if>>
    				$home[rightblocks]
    			</td>
    		</if>
    	</tr>
    </table>
    Add above all that:
    Code:
    <table align="center" class="page" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" width="100%">
    	<tr valign="top">
    		<if condition="$show['top_column']">
    			<td valign="top">
    				$home[topblocks]
    			</td>
    		</if>
    	</tr>
    </table>
    Save and Reload the template.

Then go create your module. For me, it was a simple text module. So here's that process:

Go to AdminCP > vBa CMPS > Add Module > BB Code Module

Enter a title for the module. Add your text. Save. All the other settings should be fine to just create a simple text box.

This will give you a very simple text box at the top. In my case, I wanted text explaining what our club was about. Since club members don't need to see this info again and again everytime they come to the site, I unclicked the club members user group so that they wouldn't see the module when they're logged in. But all that's up to you.

Thank you very much!

No problem.

I don't know that much HTML at all, so if someone finds a way to improve what I've done, please, have at it. I just basically looked at the template and felt my way around in the dark for a few minutes.

Thanx a bunch I was looking for this, I just cant seem to get it to work on just my two right collums, any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by dismas View Post
    Brian, thanks for the help! I got it workin'!!

Maybe later I'll write up something more pretty but here is what I did:

Follow Brian's directions about adding the location. Go to AdminCP > vBa CMPS > Default Settings > Main Options > Location List

Since I wanted mine across/above all three columns, I called the VarName "top" and the title "Span Top"

Then, go to your adv_portal template for the style that you want to edit. The easiest way to do this is to go to AdminCP > Styles & Templates > Search in Templates and search for "adv_portal" by title only. It will be the first template on the resulting list. Edit the template.

Find:
    Code:
    	<tr valign="top">
    		<if condition="$show['left_column']">
    			<td width="$vba_style[portal_leftcolwidth]"<if condition="$show['center_column'] OR $show['right_column']"> style="padding-$stylevar[right]: $vba_style[portal_colspacing]px"</if>>
    				$home[leftblocks]
    			</td>
    		</if>
    			<td valign="top">
    				$home[centerblocks]
    			</td>
    		</if>
    			<td valign="top" width="$vba_style[portal_rightcolwidth]"<if condition="$show['center_column'] OR $show['left_column']"> style="padding-$stylevar[left]: $vba_style[portal_colspacing]px"</if>>
    				$home[rightblocks]
    			</td>
    		</if>
    	</tr>
    </table>
    Add above all that:
    Code:
    	<tr valign="top">
    			<td valign="top">
    				$home[topblocks]
    			</td>
    		</if>
    	</tr>
    </table>
    Save and Reload the template.

Then go create your module. For me, it was a simple text module. So here's that process:

Go to AdminCP > vBa CMPS > Add Module > BB Code Module

Enter a title for the module. Add your text. Save. All the other settings should be fine to just create a simple text box.

This will give you a very simple text box at the top. In my case, I wanted text explaining what our club was about. Since club members don't need to see this info again and again everytime they come to the site, I unclicked the club members user group so that they wouldn't see the module when they're logged in. But all that's up to you.
    Hi guys,

If possible I need your advice again.

I am looking to achieve something like my attachment.

The top Block is all fixed as per your suggestion.

Here is my adv_portal template

Code:
    $stylevar[htmldoctype]
    <html dir="$stylevar[textdirection]" lang="$stylevar[languagecode]" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
    <head>
    <if condition="$pages['name'] == 'home'">
    	<meta http-equiv="Cache-Control" content="no-cache" />
    	<meta http-equiv="Pragma" content="no-cache" />
    	<meta http-equiv="Expires" content="0" />
    </if>

<title>$vboptions[hometitle] <if condition="$pagetitle">- $pagetitle</if></title>

$headinclude

</head>
    <body>

$header

$navbar

<tr valign="top">
    			<td valign="top">
    				$home[topblocks]
    			</td>
    		</if>
    	</tr>
    </table>

<tr valign="top">

<td colspan="2" style="padding-right: $vba_style[portal_colspacing]px" width="16%" height="100%">
          $home[leftblocks]
       </td>

<td align="left" colspan="5" style="padding-right:2px" width="84%" height="100%">
    $cybchatbox
        $home[toprightblocks]

<tr valign="top">
    			<td width="95%" valign="top">
    				$home[centerblocks]
    $cybtopstats
    			</td>
    		</if>
    				$home[rightblocks]
    			</td>
    		</if>

</tr>

</table>
    </td>
    </tr>
    </table>

$footer

</body>
    </html>
    As you may see I used some "dirty" coding (in red) to achieve my layuot, such as inserting tables inside a <td>.

For the moment I left out anything from bottomright position and I've also removed the code from the template. If you can figure how to insert that position that would be better.

Here is the link www.metroster.com

It looks OK in IE, Chrome and Opera, but in FF it stretches beyond the right side of the site.

I appreciate if someone can help me out with correct code in order to achieve something like that or similar results.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great thread! Just the information I was looking for.

Thank you very much!

Works fine with bottomright column

see : Greek community forum
    Last edited by nikos_b; 12-28-2009 at 08:15 AM.

Thread Information