Thread: Should I use more than one database?

Question Should I use more than one database?

Hello Brian,

Here is my scenario:

I'm running vBulletin for my Forums.
    I'm running two instances of vBa Dynamics for my Articles & Media sections (I may eventually run a third instance.)
    I have vBa Links Directory also integrated.
    Now I'm getting ready to install PhotoPost Classifieds.

My question is this - should I just be running ONE database to handle the functionality of all this, or should I run more than one, and what is the reasoning for that?

With my host, it doesn't cost any more to add additional databases, if there is a reason to do that. I honestly don't know much about databases, but my thinking also is that running only one is easier to backup through the AdminCP on vB.

Please advise me on how you would structure it, for optimal performance, longevity, and maintenance.

Thanks a lot!
    Jeff

Default Re: Should I use more than one database?

All of the vBadvanced products are meant to use the same database that your vBulletin installation is using; trying to use different databases would require changing a bunch of code.

For now... just go with the one database method.

Question Re: Should I use more than one database?

Alright Kevin. Thanks for the tip. I just thought that maybe with that many different applications storing data to the same database, it might be more efficient to have a few job-specific databases instead of one collective.

Another related question - is there a downside to storing image files/attachments in the database vrs. to a folder of some sort? Can both vB and vBa use either option? If I want to store to a folder, how do I do that? Do I have to chmod the folder to 777?

Thanks for the help!
    Jeff

If you think that you're PP classifieds software is going to have more than a thousand or two classifieds submitted, then it may be better to go ahead and install that to a separate database. I doubt that there would be much of a difference performance wise, but it couldn't hurt, and it's usually easier to manage a few smaller databases for backups and such instead of one large one.

As for storing images in the database, I would not recommend that. Images take up a lot more space than text and storing them in the file system should be much easier on your server. vBa products should work fine with either storage method, so you shouldn't have anything to worry about there. As for moving them, you should just need to go to Admin CP => Attachments => Attachment Storage Type and follow the instructions from there.

Thanks for the advice Brian!
    Jeff

Thread Information