Thread: New Symantec Module

Default New Symantec Module

Hello Everyone.

Before you ask, I know there is another Symantec module, Actually 2 of them
    Symantics Virus Alerts and Updated "Symantec Virus Alerts" Module

I really dont like the size of them, not to mention, they have alot of info, I didn't need.

This one, is alot more basic in nature, it also looks exactely like what you see when you go to symantecs website with changing icon when you hover over it.

There is a picture and a Demo at the Bottom of this post.

First off, Credit goes the KW802 for the major portion of the work.

This was originally created for phpNuke, then modified to be used with vbPortal

KW802 modified for me to work with vBadvanced. Before you ask, Yes, I have his approval to release it. Kuddos to him for the work, as always.

Instructions are in the zip file, open Install.txt

Demo, http://www.tech-unity.com
    top left, first Module
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: New Symantec Module

This relies on 'scraping' symantec's page doesnt it?

so if they change their page this ceases to work?
    (and yes, I'm aware that they havent changed it in a long time)

Quote Originally Posted by Milorad
    This relies on 'scraping' symantec's page doesnt it?

so if they change their page this ceases to work?
    (and yes, I'm aware that they havent changed it in a long time)
    Funny you should mention that because that was my first response also. Correct on both accounts..... it's using HTTP to scrape the page & if it ever changes it'll cease to work as-is but at the same time the page apparently hasn't changed for at least a few years.

Yes, as you said, and KW802 reiterated, it relies scrapping of symantec's site.

I understand if noone wants to use it for said reason.

I only posted it because I thought people would like to use something else, and IMHO, better looking

well, it is better looking....

I am puzzled as to why symantec doesnt offer a plain XML feed rather than their javascript wrapped one.... that would of course be ideal.

I am currently using the javascript monster feed... its hideously large, and I concur with your lack of satisfaction, Tom

I really like your portal TomShawk.... One of these days I will know almost as much as you guys and be able to design my forums similar to yours.

Awesome job!!

Quote Originally Posted by Webber
    I really like your portal TomShawk.... One of these days I will know almost as much as you guys and be able to design my forums similar to yours.

Awesome job!!
    Thanks Webber

That means alot.

I know nothing about coding but have asked tons of questions "here", at vbulletin.nl and at vbulletin.org

Trust me, they know my lack of knowledge all to well
    They also know I dont give up until I get it working, which translates to I'm a pest

I may have a ton of hacks installed on my setup, probably 60, at least.
    I also know all to well who helped me get there.
    The coders at these sites are irreplaceable.

I've paid for a few of my hacks too. Sometimes you have to, and there worth every dime.

Dont worry though, You'll learn the ins and outs, it just takes time and practice. BTW, If you dont have a practice vb site set up, I strongly suggest you create one. Better to blow it up then your redular site

Hi

thanx for Module

but it gives me porblem

Warning: fopen(/home/nabdh/public_html/cachesym/sym.cache): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/nabdh/public_html/nabdhat/modules/Symantec.php on line 61
    Le systeme ne peut pas ecrire le fichier files. S.V.P. verifiez CHMOD du repertoire /cache
    Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/nabdh/public_html/nabdhat/modules/Symantec.php on line 72

the CHMOD is 777
    and also i but 666

but i've same porblem

Quote Originally Posted by oman
    Hi

thanx for Module

but it gives me porblem

Warning: fopen(/home/nabdh/public_html/cachesym/sym.cache): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/nabdh/public_html/nabdhat/modules/Symantec.php on line 61
    Le systeme ne peut pas ecrire le fichier files. S.V.P. verifiez CHMOD du repertoire /cache
    Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/nabdh/public_html/nabdhat/modules/Symantec.php on line 72

the CHMOD is 777
    and also i but 666

but i've same porblem

Interesting, it is failing on the 2 lines where it is trying to write to the sym.cache file

This would indicate either, it is not chmoded correctly, or your host does not allow fopen or fclose.
    I would check that out if I were you, maybe your host does not allow fopen commands, I had that problem with an old free provider

is it possible to have the links open in a new window?

very nice little module... just what i was looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by restless
    is it possible to have the links open in a new window?

very nice little module... just what i was looking for.
    I'm sorry to say, No

At least I cant figure it out, trust me, I've been trying to do that forever

Quote Originally Posted by tomshawk
    I'm sorry to say, No

At least I cant figure it out, trust me, I've been trying to do that forever
    You should've asked.

In the "block-Symantec.php" file find these two lines (should be around line 59)....
    Code:
    $threats_list = str_replace("=\"/avcenter", "=\"http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter", "$threats_list"); 
    $threats_list = str_replace("='/avcenter", "='http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter", "$threats_list");
    Underneath those two lines insert this line....
    Code:
    $threats_list = str_replace("<a href=", "<a target=\"_blank\" href=", "$threats_list");
    Then either wait for your cache to refresh or, if your ../modules folder is CHMOD 777, remove the existing sym.cache file to let it build a new one on the fly.

Quote Originally Posted by KW802
    You should've asked.

In the "block-Symantec.php" file find these two lines (should be around line 59)....
    Code:
    $threats_list = str_replace("=\"/avcenter", "=\"http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter", "$threats_list"); 
    $threats_list = str_replace("='/avcenter", "='http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter", "$threats_list");
    Underneath those two lines insert this line....
    Code:
    $threats_list = str_replace("<a href=", "<a target=\"_blank\" href=", "$threats_list");
    Then either wait for your cache to refresh or, if your ../modules folder is CHMOD 777, remove the existing sym.cache file to let it build a new one on the fly.
    WOW, Sorry, I definately should have asked, Thank you very much for this addition

restless, It works great now

I'll update the zip file tomorrow, Now, I need sleep

I have installed it but the size of the block is different (bigger) then the other blocks, is there a way to give the block a fixed size?

Quote Originally Posted by Ber|Art
    I have installed it but the size of the block is different (bigger) then the other blocks, is there a way to give the block a fixed size?
    From the looks of your site http://www.ber-art.nl/forums/index.php?

It looks like the same size to me, but, I dont see the images. Is that what you did to fix the problem?

I think so, I just tried a cople off things, thx for your quick response!

Nice mod, I have it installed.

Tomshawk I see the same problem Ber|Art had

Originally Posted by Ber|Art
    Is there a solution?

Quote Originally Posted by dleblanc
    Nice mod, I have it installed.

Tomshawk I see the same problem Ber|Art had

Is there a solution?
    Its the same size as at my site.

What Browser are you viewing your site in?

In I.E. it is the same as my attached image. in firefox for example, the links are spread out and the module is longer for some reason.

but, width-wise, it depends on the text/name of the virus. because the text does not wrap, when the virus names are smaller the module fits perfectly, but, when the virus name gets long, the module stretches to fit the name instead of wrapping the text.

I'm using the I.E. and I agree it gets wider due to the text and no wrap. I put it on the right side and will leave it there. At least it gives my users a chance to see what new virus are out.

I hope your X-mas went well and you New Year is a prosper year to come. I spent my holidays in the Gulf of Mexico on a Oil platform.

Thanks again for the mod.

Thread Information