Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: CMPS Module - New/Random Entries (updated for v1.0.0)

Default Re: CMPS Module - New/Random Entries (updated for v1.0.0)

OK, I got the hacked version you did Brian to work. Would you like me to clean it up and post it here? I'm not sure why you haven't released it as so, I'm guessing either forgot, or there is an issue and you didn't want to release it till fixed. So, just let me know.

Can you post the hacked version tfw? Ive been waiting on this fix (the attachmnet thumbnails) for a while now... Cheers.

I'd rather let Brian either say it's ok to do so, or do it himself, as there may be a reason that he didn't yet. I don't want to expose a possible error or security issue that I don't know about as of now.

Quote Originally Posted by tfw2005 View Post
    I'd rather let Brian either say it's ok to do so, or do it himself, as there may be a reason that he didn't yet. I don't want to expose a possible error or security issue that I don't know about as of now.
    Congratulacions for the hacked version!!!!

I agree with you, so let´s wait a while.

I also need the hacked version because i still have no attachment thumbs...

Brian,

Can you explain why:

$datastore_fetch[] = "adv_dyna_attach'";
    This line is not included in the included xml file above. Thanks for your quick repsonse in advance.

My host does not allow the module folder to be made 777, how can I do it manually?

Okay, I followed the directions, and got it working great with the first instance. Then I tried to do a second instance, and cmps and forums came back with database errors. Looked to see what I messed up, and couldn't find anything, so I removed the modules, now I have no cmps, no forums, and no admincp, they all return with Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in /home/fwus/public_html/forums/includes/init.php(329) : eval()'d code on line 19

If anyone knows what I need to do to fix this, my site is basically dead at the moment

Okay, got everything back up and running, but had to uninstall dynamics and vba to get it back on line (the good news is I upgraded to vb 3.7 at the same time). Now, before I try this again, I was hoping someone could answer a few quick questions for me:

1. "please note that you will need to add an additional plugin to the 'init_startup' hook location with the following code:" Exactly where do I add this code? I see several 'init_startup' sections and I think that's where I screwed up last time.

2. Do I need to upload the files again for each instance? Or do I simply "copy" the module and add the extra code in the copied module?

Thanks for any help!

Question Re: CMPS Module - New/Random Entries (updated for v1.0.0)

Hello Brian,

I just got this installed, and apparently working.

Couple of questions:

When you see a message asking if you would like to overwrite the templates, be sure that 'No' is choosen and continue.
    What happens if you selected 'Yes' by mistake? Does it do any PERMANENT damage? I only ask this, because I made that mistake before I read this part. In an attempt to rectify this, I completely uninstalled the module, as well as the plug-ins, and then reinstalled them. Was that an acceptable solution, or did I do some lasting harm to some other dyna templates? How should I fix it?

Next question - shouldn't this code:

Code:
    	$datastore_fetch[] = "adv_dyna_perms'";
    	$datastore_fetch[] = "adv_dyna_opts'";
    Shouldn't this include opening ' notations? Shouldn't this really be as follows:

Code:
    	$datastore_fetch[] = "'adv_dyna_perms'";
    	$datastore_fetch[] = "'adv_dyna_opts'";
    	$datastore_fetch[] = "'adv_dyna_attach'";
    I had problems getting this to work with my secondary instance "articles", but it seems to be working alright after adding an opening ' notation on each of these three lines.

Now click on the 'Default Settings' link under the vBa CMPS group and add 'vba_dyna' (without the quotes) to the 'Portal Output Global Variables' setting.
    Do I need to add "articles" to the 'Portal Output Global Variables' setting as well, since that is the instance that I am using this module with?

For some reason, when the articles are new and there have been NO REPLIES, the module is showing that the "Last Reply" is by "Guest", instead of by the original author, as it should be. Please reference below:

Shed Blood by Sparky on Friday, May 16th, 2008 12:03 AM Friday, May 16th, 2008 12:03 AM by Guest 0 3
    Love Song by Sparky on Thursday, May 15th, 2008 09:23 PM Thursday, May 15th, 2008 09:23 PM by Guest 0 3
    I wait by Sparky on Thursday, May 15th, 2008 09:13 PM Thursday, May 15th, 2008 09:13 PM by Guest 0 2
    Up Is Down by Sparky on Monday, May 12th, 2008 09:21 PM Monday, May 12th, 2008 09:21 PM by Guest 0 12
    Hurry by Sparky on Monday, May 12th, 2008 11:13 AM Monday, May 12th, 2008 11:13 AM by Guest 0 8
    Any idea how I can correct this?

One small step for vBa, one large step for mankind!
    Thanks for your help!
    Jeff

Exclamation Re: CMPS Module - New/Random Entries (updated for v1.0.0)

Bump...

I also just realized that my links directory is no longer working since I installed this module, but am unsure whether that is caused by this module, or template conflicts since upgrading all my vBa software.

See HERE

Please help!
    Last edited by NashChristian; 05-22-2008 at 10:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by incendrix View Post
    1. "please note that you will need to add an additional plugin to the 'init_startup' hook location with the following code:" Exactly where do I add this code? I see several 'init_startup' sections and I think that's where I screwed up last time.
    Admin CP => Plugins & Products => Add New Plugin => Plugin PHP Code

2. Do I need to upload the files again for each instance? Or do I simply "copy" the module and add the extra code in the copied module?
    Just add the additional plugin for each instance as mentioned in the first post and then copy the module through the Admin CP.

Quote Originally Posted by NashChristian View Post
    What happens if you selected 'Yes' by mistake? Does it do any PERMANENT damage? I only ask this, because I made that mistake before I read this part. In an attempt to rectify this, I completely uninstalled the module, as well as the plug-ins, and then reinstalled them. Was that an acceptable solution, or did I do some lasting harm to some other dyna templates? How should I fix it?
    That would overwrite your templates, so you may want to check in your Style Manager to see if any of the 'adv_dyna_entrybit*' templates have been customized, and if so (and it wasn't you that customized them), delete them.

Shouldn't this include opening ' notations? Shouldn't this really be as follows:
    Where exactly are you seeing that code? I checked the .xml file attached here and any code in the original post, but I'm not seeing the missing single quotes.

Do I need to add "articles" to the 'Portal Output Global Variables' setting as well, since that is the instance that I am using this module with?
    No, only 'vba_dyna' should need to be added.

For some reason, when the articles are new and there have been NO REPLIES, the module is showing that the "Last Reply" is by "Guest", instead of by the original author, as it should be. Please reference below:
    It sounds like that might be due to overwriting templates when you first installed it. So if you've already reverted your templates by the time you read this part, it could already be fixed.

So was a new version of this ever released, or are people still having difficulties with it?

Installed, thanks.

Once I create plugin, it returns a database errors.

1. For which product should I create this plugin, for vbulletin or vBa_CMPS or other?

I had vb_ as prefix, and I tried adding that too with same results.

Question Re: CMPS Module - New/Random Entries (updated for v1.0.0)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Where exactly are you seeing that code? I checked the .xml file attached here and any code in the original post, but I'm not seeing the missing single quotes.
    Here, at the top of this thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Brian
    Multiple Instances
    For those who would like to run this with multiple instances, or with a secondary instance, please note that you will need to add an additional plugin to the 'init_startup' hook location with the following code:

Code:
    if (defined('VBA_PORTAL'))
    {
    	$datastore_fetch[] = "'adv_dyna_rand'";
    	$datastore_fetch[] = "'adv_dyna_cats'";
    	$datastore_fetch[] = "adv_dyna_perms'";
    	$datastore_fetch[] = "adv_dyna_opts'";

$phrasegroups[] = 'adv_dyna';
    }
    QUESTION:

Quote Originally Posted by NashChristian
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian
    That would overwrite your templates, so you may want to check in your Style Manager to see if any of the 'adv_dyna_entrybit*' templates have been customized, and if so (and it wasn't you that customized them), delete them.
    Would this affect the templates of any of my secondary instances, or just the primary, which in my case, I'm not using? All that I need to do to fix this is revert the 'adv_dyna_entrybit*' templates?

One more question Brian about this module, what code would I need to modify (and in which templates) to make my LAST REPLY data wrap, so that it won't hog my module display?

Also (one more, one more) where would I modify the text display "Title / Author, Last Reply" in the Module header, so that I can make it match the text display in the Newest Forum Threads module on CMPS "Title, Username, & Date, Last Post" AND vice versa (where could I modify this text in the Newest Forum Threads module).

Thanks again for the help!
    Jeff

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks, Brian, for allowing this integration with the rest of the community.

Please note that the mod searches for replies to the main article and post "Last post by Guest" even if there are no posts and counters have been reset.
    Last edited by shlomot; 06-24-2008 at 02:42 AM.
    Cheers to all,
    Shlomo Tommer

tsConnections | Celebrities Galore

So, has this module been fixed?

Honestly, it seems as if it would be of great value. I'm trying to get my home page to look less "forum-ish," and I'd like to be able to put my news category from dynamics into cmps.

Anybody? Bueller? Bueller?

Quote Originally Posted by kholtman View Post
    So, has this module been fixed?

Honestly, it seems as if it would be of great value. I'm trying to get my home page to look less "forum-ish," and I'd like to be able to put my news category from dynamics into cmps.

Anybody? Bueller? Bueller?
    YES. The Module is working GOOD now!

How would I change the Title of the New/Random Entry. Right now the Member's Name that posts the Entry is larger then the Entry Title. I would like to increase the font on the Entry Title.

Thanks for any and all assistance,

James

You would need to edit your 'adv_dyna_entrybit_expanded' template and adjust the code in there.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information