Thread: begging for answer on drop down menu for link directory

Default REPHRASED QUESTION: begging for answer on drop down menu for link directory

I feel like I am begging for an answer on a question that I've been asking for over a week.

Can I put my user personalized links in a drop down menu (that would automatically be updated every time a user adds a link)?

I tried vbulletin.org and even made it a paid request and a couple guys responded. However, they could never finish the vba links part. Their work is at this thread:

http://www.vbadvanced.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30095

If there is anyone who can take this code/clean up the code, and integrate with vba links, it would be appreciated.
    Last edited by drynax; 07-05-2008 at 09:46 AM.

Default Re: begging for answer on drop down menu for link directory

[ Moved to Links Hacks & Modifications ]

Where exactly have you been asking this question?

This was originally a pre-sales question for a week, so why would it be moved to Hack&Modifications? I just bought the Links Directory a couple days ago.

Honestly, I don't want to state all the forums and people I've PM'd about this question (and variations of this question) over the last week and a half because I don't want Brian or any Moderators to be upset with me. I also want to add that sometimes they won't let you into the vba links forums until after you purchase the product, so there is no way to get the answers you need. I finally just ended up buying the vba links product just to get access to the vba links forums. However, after searching the forums, there was still no answer to be found.

I just want to say one more thing:

I love the vbAdvanced and Dynamics products, and think this web site adds so much to vbulletin community. I understand how much work goes into developing these products, and want to add as much encouragement as I can.

Having made that clear, instead of answering a question with more questions, is there anyway to do this? please? can vba Links do this? (once again, this seems like a pre-sales question, but if you can answer it here, that would be great)

-------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by KW802 View Post
    [ Moved to Links Hacks & Modifications ]

Where exactly have you been asking this question?
    Last edited by drynax; 04-07-2008 at 12:32 PM.

Maybe I need to rephrase my question:

With vBa Links, can I put my user personalized links in a drop down menu (that would automatically be updated every time a user adds a link)?

I guess that would be more of a pre-sales question.

The first PM I'm seeing from you was on 4/3, which is barely 1/2 a week. If you have a problem or question in the future, please post in the forums or use the 'Contact Us' link at the bottom of any page. We do not provide support via PM or any other means.

As for your question, sorry, but vBa Links does not include any features for personalized link menus.

This was originally a pre-sales question for a week, so why would it be moved to Hack&Modifications? I just bought the Links Directory a couple days ago.
    I can't really speak for Kevin, but... Since you have the product now, it's not really a pre-sales question anymore. The hacks request forum would also be the most likely place that another member would see the request and possibly be able to fulfill it for you.
    Last edited by Brian; 04-07-2008 at 12:44 PM.

I'm sorry Brian. I didn't know that. It won't happen again in the future. Once again, I am truly sorry. Also, you should realize that I have 3 different vbadvanced accounts - one for each customer I represent. I also posted under my other account too, which is why I said over a week. Once again, I AM TRULY SORRY.

Actually, I think I was not using the right terminology, because you can create user created categories.

So, my new question is (with the right terminology, so there is no confusion):

Can you take the links from "user created categories" and put them in a drop-down menu?

--------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    The first PM I'm seeing from you was on 4/3, which is barely 1/2 a week. If you have a problem or question in the future, please post in the forums or use the 'Contact Us' link at the bottom of any page. We do not provide support via PM or any other means.

As for your question, sorry, but vBa Links does not include any features for personalized link menus.

It's also not necessary to submit support tickets when you already have a thread open. If anything, that will only slow our response time.

No, links from user created categories cannot be added to a drop-down menu using the default software.

Does that mean it is impossible to make this kind of drop down menu with vbadvanced and the vba links directory software?

(sorry to keep bothering you)

PS - I'm sorry about the support ticket. In your last post, you wrote "please post in the forums or use the 'Contact Us' link at the bottom of any page." I guess the Contact Us opened a Support Ticket. I was just following your instructions. Once again, I am sorry.

------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    It's also not necessary to submit support tickets when you already have a thread open. If anything, that will only slow our response time.

No, links from user created categories cannot be added to a drop-down menu using the default software.
    Last edited by drynax; 04-07-2008 at 04:53 PM.

No, that does not mean it's impossible. It just means that is not a default feature.

Quote Originally Posted by tazzarkin View Post
    PS - I'm sorry about the support ticket. In your last post, you wrote "please post in the forums or use the 'Contact Us' link at the bottom of any page." I guess the Contact Us opened a Support Ticket. I was just following your instructions. Once again, I am sorry.

------------------------
    Well, I did say "post in the forums or use the 'Contact Us' link".

Anyone interested in helping me develop this project further? Someone helped me finish the first 1/2 (drop down menu and adding my own links on vbulletin and vbadvanced, actually it's more like 3/4's done). In a sense, we basically made our own vba link software. But that's not what I had planned. I wanted to integrate it with vba links.

Now I just need to do the second 1/2 and integrate it with vba links directory. It should be easy at this point, and all we really need to do is replace variable names and so forth.
    Last edited by drynax; 04-08-2008 at 09:47 PM.

Maybe I need to rephrase my question:

With vBa Links, can I put my user personalized links in a drop down menu (that would automatically be updated every time a user adds a link)?

I guess that would be more of a pre-sales question.
    I am not sure what exactly what you are looking for, but it is possible
    to have your users favorited links (which they can make favorite when they submit link) shown on the links pages, so that their own links are always shown on the page where you like (unfortunately not in drop down, but simple list).

It just requires to simple steps:
    a) Installation of the my favorites links module into CMPS
    http://www.vbadvanced.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16402
    b) Integration of the the CMPS page with this module into the links pages

It is always updated when the users submit links AND make it favorite.
    They can also favorite other users links

thanks. but the whole point was to have it on a drop-down menu, which would be specific for each individual user. we've been able to do that (since my original post), however, we ended up making our own primitive vba links directory program. then we have a drop-down menu showing the links. now we're working on adding some more features.

rather than build it out further, i would rather integrate it with vba links directory. basically, that would involve just changing variable names within our code, but i'm not familiar with the vba links/vbadvanced variables and was looking for someone who could do it quicker.

this program can be shared with the world. we just want someone who can help us finish it.

anyone still interested in helping with this? i can give you the basic drop-down and adding code for it. right now it is basically it's own links program, but i want to incorporate it with the link directory code. (basically, i want to integrate it and make a mod).

Still looking for an answer.

However, I posted some sample code on the following thread:

If someone can complete this mod to integrate with vba Links, please PM me. Or just do the integration and post it to the same thread.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Write out a detailed step-by-step of what you want, and post it as a paid request over at vBulletin.org.

My link directory is heavily modded, and by coders I found at vB.org.

Links Directory is very flexible (in the right hands)
    VeggieBlogs.com
    (Built with: vB, vBA CMPS, vBA Links Directory - and a whole mess of mods!)

Thanks.

Actually, I tried vbulletin.org but two coders started and never finished the vba links part. After that, over a 100 people looked at the request, but no one responded again. I put their work on this thread:

I'm hoping that someone here might be able to help since there are talented people here who know the specific fields of vba links that could help complete this one mod as well.

Is there anyone who can help finish this? Anyone?
    --------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by pcoskat View Post
    Write out a detailed step-by-step of what you want, and post it as a paid request over at vBulletin.org.

My link directory is heavily modded, and by coders I found at vB.org.

Links Directory is very flexible (in the right hands)
    Last edited by drynax; 07-05-2008 at 09:43 AM.

Thread Information