Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Incorrect Links in My Subscriptions

Default Incorrect Links in My Subscriptions

Hello,

the same problem I had with dynamics, and was solved here:
    http://www.vbadvanced.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29894
    ... I am also having with Links Directory v. 3.0 Beta2

Having subscribed to a category and then watching subscribtions, the links to "latest link" and "latest reply" go to nowhere.

Is there a solution for it?

I would need the solution for this Beta2 version, as I got to much problems when updating to version 3.0 RC1, so I decided to keep version Beta2 which works fine except for the problem mentioned above.

larina

What exactly are the problems you had while upgrading? Running a beta version forever isn't going to be the best course of action, so we'd be better off figuring out what your issues with the upgrade were and then going from there.

Hi Brian,

when I upgraded, something with java-scripts went wrong. Trying to click at a link at the links directory main page (latest links, random links), nothing was happening. The menu did not open to surf to the link or show link details and so on.

So I was assuming something went wrong with installation. I reinstalled templates, it did not help. Than I "upgraded" back to Beta2. To be sure I also reverted all templates, although everything I had changed in templates was adding some google-ads. After that I tried a new upgrade to RC1. And after that - when surfing to the links directory - I got a script error from IE7 saying, that an object is missing.

This same script error in IE7 I also have in vb Advanced when editing a module in admincp, by the way. This is happening since updating to the latest version.

Oh well, I would have asked here or would have deinstalled everything to make a complete fresh install in the hope this is helping. Looking at your demo-page you don't seem to have those problems with links directory.

But I have another big problem with RC1 ... I am not able anymore to adjust the files vba_links_functions_savelink.php and vba_links_functions.php in that way, that german umlaute are shown correctly. In Beta2 this was working by using this code: http://www.vbadvanced.com/forum/show...27&postcount=3 (adjusting it to links directory instead of dynamics). But in RC1 those functions (clean_keywords and key_to_file) don't exist anymore, so I have no clue how to get back correct german umlaute in RC1. Those correct german umlaute are totally important for me, as long as I don't know how to get them in RC1 I cannot upgrade anyway.

Hmm, what should I do? Do you have a fast solution for german umlaute for RC1 ... so that it would make sense for me to give RC1 another try? Or would it be better to keep using Beta2, and just fix the subscription-issue?

larina
    Last edited by larina; 07-28-2008 at 02:58 PM.

It sounds like you may have modified your 'adv_links_linkbit' template and did not revert it after the upgrade since there were a few changes to that template to correct an issue with the drop-downs and other javascript that could occur when the same link is shown on the same page (example: the links homepage in the What's New and Random Links sections). Note there was also another fix applied to the package today to correct some other small javascript issues.
    http://www.vbadvanced.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30641

So I would recommend downloading the files again to make sure that last bug fix has been applied, try the upgrade again, and make sure to revert your 'adv_links_linkbit' template (or any others listed in the announcement) if it's been customized. If you still have the same problems after the upgrade, please submit a support ticket and I'll see what's going on.

Thank you Brian. I would try that and I am sure that we would be able to fix those javascript issues. But as I said ... it makes no sense for me upgrading to RC1 as long as there is no fix for RC1 to show german umlaute correctly. That's why I did not mention the javascript-issues in my first post, and just asked for a fix for the subscription issue. I cannot update, if I than will have wrong linkings in german language.

Would it be possible to just give me a fix for Beta2 to resolve the subscription-issue? Or to get correct german umlaute in RC1? ... one of both?

larina

Sorry, I think my mind was focused on the javascript stuff and I forgot about the questions on the hacks. The clean_keywords() function is still there in the includes/vba_links_functions_savelink.php file.
    Not sure where you're getting "key_to_file" from... That's not a vBa function and not mentioned in that thread. The 'fetch_spider_url' function mentioned there is still in the vba_links_functions.php file, though renamed to links_fetch_spider_url. There was also a new hook location added there (vba_links_functions_fetch_spider_url) so file changes are no longer necessary to alter the function.

Yes, I saw the hook location, which made me even more messed. I am not familiar with all such stuff. I tried for many hours to get the old code working with RC1. Perhaps - with much luck - I would be able to find out the "how to", if I would take some more days for it. But as I am not familiar with this stuff at all, it really just would be luck, so I don't want to try anymore. As long as Beta2 works at least for most functions, I'll use this, I have no other chance. I am still hoping you one day will fix the german umlaute issue. It would not bother anybody, as these umlaute only are correct with the changes the hack does, regardless which language you use. And people who don't use those umlaute at all, don't have to do with it anyway. It would be a big step forwards to all your german customers. Well, I won't mention this anymore in the future, I am just hoping, it really is very important for a proper use of this software in Germany.

For the subscription-issue, I'll try to take the "how to" from the fix you did for dynamics, perhaps it also suits for links directory.

larina

Well, I thought I give RC1 one last more try. But the script-error still exists. You see it in the attachment, this is how my links directory looks when surfing to it. To see the error-message you have to put the IE7-option to show script-errors to YES.

As I posted above I reverted all templates in my tries before. I cannot revert 'adv_links_linkbit' again, as it is reverted. Also I just downloaded the latest links directory files, and this also does not help.

I also saw this script error at other links directories from your customers, so I don't think it's just my own problem.

And the same occurs - as I also wrote above - when editing an adv-module in admincp.

Sorry Brian, I am sometimes really confused why I have to handle such problems with a paid software. It took me months to handle the problems with dynamics, which still are not solved completely. I don't have the time to again spend so much time with links directory. I need a software which is running without problems that my users will be faced with. That means no script errors, correct linkings in subscriptions and correct SEO links also in german language.

I'll keep RC1 at my page for about two days, so that you can look at it. But I won't take the time to find out how to solve this and the other problems. Better I go back to Beta2 and disable all functions that don't work.

larina
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: gif 1.GIF (74.9 KB, 6 views)

The SEO-links-issue I could solve now for RC1. I had to delete some functions, but it works.

The script-error still would need to be fixed.

In the attachment you see, what browser Opera is saying about the script error. Perhaps this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: gif 2.GIF (16.0 KB, 4 views)

... the mistake only occurs at the main page of links directory.

... and it only occurs, if you use "New Links" and/or "Random Links" at the main page of links directory. If I disable both, there are no script errors.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    If you still have the same problems after the upgrade, please submit a support ticket and I'll see what's going on.

Thank you. I disabled "New Links" and "Random Links" for main page now, so it's ok.

The mistake is in this code in vba_links_global.js:
    //var sbutton = document.getElementById('srating_' + linkid);
    //var newbutton = document.createElement('input');
    //newbutton.type = 'button';
    //newbutton.className = sbutton.className;
    //newbutton.value = sbutton.value;
    //newbutton.onclick = vBa_Rate_Link.prototype.formsubmit;

//sbutton.parentNode.insertBefore(newbutton, sbutton);
    //sbutton.parentNode.removeChild(sbutton);

When I disable it, the script error disappears. But not all functions are available anymore in new or random links, so I use the main page without it. I assume it will be fixed in a later version.

I've got it. I had to copy and paste vba_links_global.js into the forum/clientscript folder to make it work. There still was an older vba_links_global.js from a later version.

Uhh, do you mean the links/clientscript folder? There shouldn't be any reason it would be looking for the file in your forum folder.

Hi Brian,

I mean the forum/clientscript folder, the file must exist there at my website to function.

Perhaps you remember ... I had the same problem with dynamics ... all files from dynamics/clientscript had to be copied into forum/clientscript. I had a support-ticket about it. You found out, that this is caused by vbnews which I use at my website ... it causes everything called clientscript to get linked to forum/clientscript. So it's an issue caused by vbnews.

Sorry for the trouble. I did not remember having to copy the js-file to forum/clientscript also for links-directory, I thought only dynamics would need this.

Anyway, everything is fine now

And sorry again for bothering you, I am sometimes a bit desperate when such strange things happen.

larina

Ahhh, I had completely forgotten about the vBnews issue. I found that support ticket to refresh my memory and it sounds like I just modified one of your vBnews plugins to wrap an if() condition around the code. Not sure how familiar you are with PHP, but if you can find the plugin for vBnews where that's being executed then you should see some code like this as the first line:
    PHP Code:
    if (VBA_SCRIPT != 'dynamics'
    If you change that to:
    PHP Code:
    if (VBA_SCRIPT != 'dynamics' AND VBA_SCRIPT != 'links_directory'
    Then that should disable the code on both vBa Links and Dynamics and allow you to forget about uploading the files to vB's clientscript folder.

Hi Brian,

the same day when you fixed this at my website, I had an other problem (not being able anymore to access links-directory, which was caused by the incompatility between dynamics and links-directory, which you fixed in the meanwhile). Anyway, I had no other idea anymore than to play back a backup of my website from days before. So the fix you made for me I lost by doing this. I than just copied the js-files from dynamics/clientscript to forum/clientscript, which also helped.

Do you still know the whole code of your fix? It must be one of those two vbnews-plugins:

Final Filtering:

$vbpath = $vbulletin->options["bburl"];

$output = preg_replace('/src=\"clientscript/i', "src=\"$vbpath/clientscript", $output);
    or Fix CSS Path:

$style['css'] = str_replace('href="clientscript', 'href="' . $vbulletin->options['bburl'] . '/clientscript', $style['css']);
    Thank you!!

larina

The 2nd one would be the culprit. Just replace that code with this and it should take care of the issue and allow vBa products to find the right clientscript folder.

PHP Code:
    if (!defined('VBA_SCRIPT'))
    {
    $style['css'] = str_replace('href="clientscript''href="' $vbulletin->options['bburl'] . '/clientscript'$style['css']); 

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information