Thread: Problems with Custom Fields and URLs

Default Problems with Custom Fields and URLs

Hi, Great product, but needs improvement.....

We created a custom field for each link entry, the URL of a related forum. Regardless of how we enter the link, it does not work in multiple views.

For example, look at this link entry:

You will notice that we used bb tags ... in the custom text field for the link entry. However, then notice this view, the Newest 5 Links view:

This view does not resolve the bb tags.

However in this category view:

The entry is a correct, clickable URL.

What we need, unless I am missing something, is a custom field type "URL" that allows users to input a URL, as we are attempting to do, and it displays consistently as a clickable link in all views.

No matter how we try to do this, we cannot get a consistent clickable view across the links directory.

Georgia, USA

Thank you for pointing this out. Custom fields with BB code should be parsed the same throughout the software, but it looks like there was a small bug preventing the fields from being parsed properly on the index page. I've just applied the fix to the forum/includes/functions_vba_links_cats.php file in the download package here, so if you will download the files agian and update that one on your server, that should take care of the issue.

You are welcome. Thanks for the fix and for a great product.

Hi Brian,

Also, it does not seem to parse correctly when you (re)edit a link. For example, see:

See the entry for Midnight BSD in the Newest 5 Links area.

Georgia, USA

Looks like you have the 'Automatically Parse Links in Text' setting within that category disabled. If that setting is disabled then it will not automatically add [url] tags around the URL when the link is submitted/edited.

Thank Brian,

That fixed it... if I (re)edited and saved after making the configuration change.

Thread Information