Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: vBa CMPS vs vBCMS

Default vBa CMPS vs vBCMS

Ive been testing both the old CMPS on 3.8 and the new vB CMS on 4.0 and don't get me wrong its a great step n the right direction. But i cant imagine ill be replacing my Homepage with the new CMS anytime soon. vBa is so much more dynamic and a solid product. I cant wait to see what Brian has in mind for his product on the 4.0 platform. Drag and Drop functionality is just one bonus. vBa is so much more then the new vB CMS.

vB CMS Widgets vs vBa Modules.
    Exporting modules is easy with vBa and as far as i can tell isn't passable to do with vB widgets. Again the vBa system wins hands down. Just adding a widget in the vB CMS is nearly imposable to figure out. (i still haven't figured out how to add my own videos without overwriting the examples) Nothing user friendly inside the ACP of the vB CMS.

Do you want to make your own Custom pages? hands down this is much easier to achieve with vBa's CMPS then with the vB CMS.

These are of course just my opinions of the two products. I'm not dissing vB i love there products also. But i feel that if your looking to replace vBa with the new vB CMS you might regret this decision. I for one will be keeping vBa CMPS, Dynamics and Links when they become available on the 4.0 platform. CMPS will remain my homepage and the CMS will be a simple article system inside the root. Basically an index to make the vB blogs a better product.

Of course we all have different needs in a CMS so vB CMS may be perfect for you. But there barely a single thing in the vB product i could use as a home page option.

Thanks Brian for making the Best add on product for vB forums there has ever been. vBa is the number one reason i switched from IPB to vB over a year ago. and i haven't looked back since.

lol... I really like vbcms, and as vba doesn't work with vb4 there's little choice at the moment but to use vbcms or just have forums on the site, Which i cant have my site is more than just a forum, And realistically i can't see people going through the setting up of vbcms and getting it set up how they want it and then having to go through setting up the next vba cmps when its released, I like vba cmps but to me vbcms is more than just a front page which is all that vbacmps was.

As for saying that adding a widget is nearly impossible is a bit far fetched, Im fairly new to vbulletin yet even I can add any type of widget with ease, and adding video was as easy as pasting in the html into a static html widget, which takes just seconds and is quicker than going through the setting up of a module..

vba cmps is good, but saying
    But there barely a single thing in the vB product i could use as a home page option.
    seems a bit strange to me as my vbcms page is now set up almost identical to how i had the vba cmps page setup in 3.8.4 the only difference to me is that i can now create articles with ease which is all i've ever wanted in a CMS and i've tried most of them..

I also have vba cmps, vba dynamics & vba Links, and im waiting for all of them to be updated & released, especially the links as like loads of people my links section is important to my site and currently its down and im getting grief from people who I have reciprocal links with because I have no links section on the site..

Hopefully the new vba cmps is going to be an excellent bit of kit which im sure i'll find a use for, and if it truly is better than vbcms then I'll gladly use it as the front page, at the end of the day like thousands of others I just want whats best for my site and my needs..

Happy New Year, I hope 2010 is a good year for everyone

Default Great piece of software, but probably nearing the end of its lifetime

I doubt vBa CMPS will survive the new vBCMS. Not for long at least. It has been a great piece of software, and I used it before I upgraded to vB4. However, the article system works much better in the vBCMS, and people generally prefer to use inbuilt core functionality compared to 3rd party software, as it avoids delays and software incompatibility during upgrades.

However, I certainly agree that the modules for vBa CMPS are quite superior to the current vBCMS widgets. I would love to see Brian turn his attention to turn the old modules into new 3rd party widgets. I'd be willing to pay for that. There's surpricingly few "commercial" widgets available for vB4 yet, but I'm pretty sure they will come.

SGL.

Quote Originally Posted by triff View Post
    I certainly agree that the modules for vBa CMPS are quite superior to the current vBCMS widgets. I would love to see Brian turn his attention to turn the old modules into new 3rd party widgets. I'd be willing to pay for that. There's surpricingly few "commercial" widgets available for vB4 yet, but I'm pretty sure they will come.

SGL.
    I quite like the widgets, But I agree and would also be very interested in seeing Brian turn the modules into 3rd party widgets, and yep, i think i'd pay for that aswell..

Quote Originally Posted by triff View Post
    I doubt vBa CMPS will survive the new vBCMS. Not for long at least. It has been a great piece of software, and I used it before I upgraded to vB4. However, the article system works much better in the vBCMS, and people generally prefer to use inbuilt core functionality compared to 3rd party software, as it avoids delays and software incompatibility during upgrades.

However, I certainly agree that the modules for vBa CMPS are quite superior to the current vBCMS widgets. I would love to see Brian turn his attention to turn the old modules into new 3rd party widgets. I'd be willing to pay for that. There's surpricingly few "commercial" widgets available for vB4 yet, but I'm pretty sure they will come.

SGL.
    I think you forget that for many users the vB Suite will always be a definite non starter.

Quote Originally Posted by CareyCrew View Post
    I think you forget that for many users the vB Suite will always be a definite non starter.
    Then that is their loss really.. I've tried loads of cms's, ccms, wordpress, joomla etc and vbsuite is the best so far, IMHO..

Quote Originally Posted by Cerberuz View Post
    Then that is their loss really.. I've tried loads of cms's, ccms, wordpress, joomla etc and vbsuite is the best so far, IMHO..
    Maybe,maybe not,for many the cost of the Suite is too high.

The vB CMS cannot be compared directly to vBaCMPS , there is quite a difference in features.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerberuz View Post
    I quite like the widgets, But I agree and would also be very interested in seeing Brian turn the modules into 3rd party widgets, and yep, i think i'd pay for that aswell..
    The "Welcome" module and the "Recent posts" module for vBCMPA are considerably better than their vBCMS counterpart. All in all the vBCMS widgets seem "simpler" in a way, at least for now.

Quote Originally Posted by CareyCrew View Post
    Maybe,maybe not,for many the cost of the Suite is too high.

The vB CMS cannot be compared directly to vBaCMPS , there is quite a difference in features.
    There certainly difference in the features, but a lot of similarities too. I'm pretty sure that those who are willing to buy vB4 and wants a CMS will almost all get the Suite version. Only exception would be some who uses vBaCMPS now, and prefer to avoid any changes.

SGL.

Until vB CMS gets the queries below 100 for their basic setup, no big board will use it.
    I've looked at it. I will not be using it.

CMPS is a powerful tool, highly customizable.

IT should also be stated, I'm not updating to 4.0 for 2+ years.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNakedMan View Post
    IT should also be stated, I'm not updating to 4.0 for 2+ years.
    Did you mean Noted?

Your choice and good luck with it..

vBcms sucks, vBA CMPS Forever!

I am currently trying to upgrade my site and vb CMS is a nightmare to work with and resource hungry.

Out of the box vBa CMPS is stale in its overall presentation (boxy) but at the same time it has the great flexibility and ease in which to change that to suit our own individual sites needs which is what you would do anyway and vBa CMPS so easily allows for this.

vBa CMPS is a very easy to use and extremely powerful tool and I have always used it to add an entire framework around my site and you can not knock Brian in the support and help that he gives - he does a fantastic job with a fantastic product

Both of these products are very different to each other and I see there is a need for both

I also use Dynamics and Links.

So in the development of my new vb4 site I will be strongly using vBa CMPS as my home page and wrap my entire site around its capabilities. I will also be using vb CMS as my Articles section cause to me, that is ALL vb CMS is - I currently use vBa Dynamics for Articles along with 10 other instances of Dynamics on my site, but the ability to promote a forum item into an Article in vb CMS is an asset.

I think vBa CMPS could evolve even further in such areas as piggy backing off the vb widget system and provide various examples of different layouts that a person could do in simple tutorials (eg the mod to display news as 2 col here) will gain an even greater acceptance from the "non developer" types.

You could in fact create an entire site with just using vBa CMPS and a multi-instance license of Dynamics and not use your forums at all (even though you need vb to make these 2 products work).

So in summary...they are different products and vBa CMPS is a must have if you are wanting an easy way to create a great site...thanks from me will always go to Brian!
    Last edited by ibaker; 05-20-2010 at 04:52 AM.

Further to my post above I have now had longer time playing with vbCMS.

I believe vbaCMPS has one huge distinct advantage over vbCMS and that is with vbaCMPS your users can customise the pages themselves by placing the displayed modules around the page.

I use vbaCMPS as my home page and vbCMS as an articles/magazine section because I don't think vbCMS is ready yet to perform as an easy to use site home page yet.

However, vbCMS will get there in due course if vb continues with its development and this could spell the end of vbaCMPS BUT...

If we look at it strategically...

The big thing these days are Widgets and as more and more developers over at vb.org start to move away from Mods and create different widgets for all kinds of things, vbCMS will grow in popularity.

Widgets are on your mobile phone, your pc windows op system, your Google internet home page etc etc etc.

If vbaCMPS made the next major leap and went past vbCMS it could, in my opinion, become the greatest thing for any site owner.

It needs to change its name, call modules widgets and provide a solution that lends itself to being not only a vb home page but a true portal that users can customise and make your site their internet home page.

If vbaCMPS was able to allow users to pick and choose Widgets from a list and then display them in a user selected position and order on the page then vbaCMPS will be an even more powerful product beating vbCMS as a great tool for site users. A user can already do it to some extent in vbaDynamics so it just needs this functionality copied into vbaCMPS so users can create their own Internet home page on your site getting users to keep coming to your site.

Like in iGoogle a user can add from a list of widgets to create their own customised home page - imagine if we as site owners could allow our users to create an internet home page for themselves on our site, our users will keep coming to our site as their home page. The next step after this could be vbaCMPS allows users to create tabs like iGoogle and they can add widgets and/or your site sections to those personalised tabs but you could also lock certain sections to display in certain placed like an advertising column etc

The above will all come down to the range of widgets that can be offered to your site users on the vbaCMPS home page and this I believe if done will jump ahead of the "stand alone" vb system.

Most of it is already there especially the ability to customise the vbaCMPS home page and with vbaDynamics, it just needs development in a greater widget (module) system including some more ready made Widgets (Modules)

Any thoughts on this Brian?

I will now crawl back into my little box and hide
    Last edited by ibaker; 05-31-2010 at 12:02 AM.

I have been using vba cmps and vbulletin since February 2007. When vb4suite came along I thought “good! now I only need to worry about configuring and updating one piece of software”. I head about the problems with the early releases so I waited til now before looking at upgrading.

For the last week I have been playing with vb4 cms on my computer localhost trying to make it do the same things I am doing with vba cmps. This is what I found.

My site is set up so that the side columns are on all pages and forum pages are in the middle. This cannot be done with vb4cms. You need mods like vba cmps to achieve this.

For my site 99% of the front page content is pulled from 2 of the 10 forums using the vba cmps “News” module. Posts in those 2 forums go straight on the front page if the user is in the right usergroup (about 75%), the rest are moderated. For all of them its as simple as putting a post in a forum. The news module is highly configurable, you can adjust the amount of preview text that is shown and you can have the attachment thumbnail on the left.

The big thing is to make it as easy and as simple as possible for users to put an article on. Putting a post in a forum is easy and this encourages more news submissions.

With vb4cms users need to submit an article. Submitting an article in vb4cms is more complex than submitting a post. I know my users will hate the change and will be discouraged from using it.

So they can still post in a forum and promote it to an article right? Wrong..with vb4cms forum post are not automatically shown on the front page after submit. Posts in the forum have to be promoted to article - so you click the promote button which takes the content of the post to the article edit page and then you need to customise it (amount of preview text to show, etc) . Too hard for my users who are used to the simple way. Too much work for moderators and admins if we have to do it for them. Also, if we need to promote the post to an article for them, it doesn’t show on front page immediately they post.

So I thought the solution is to modify the “Recent forum Posts” widget and use it as a “News” module like the one with vba cmps. Bad idea… I made a custom widget and tried to make a custom template for it by copy and pasting code from other templates but I’m no coder and I cant make the attached image thumbnail show on the left of the text (in place of the avatar) or control the amount of preview text. I thought this would be simple for a real coder so I posted about in both vb forum and vb.org forum. Its been a few days now and no reply to either post.

So for my needs at the moment vba cmps beats vb4suite hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Of course we all have different needs in a CMS so vB CMS may be perfect for you. But there barely a single thing in the vB product i could use as a home page option.

Thanks Brian for making the Best add on product for vB forums there has ever been. vBa is the number one reason i switched from IPB to vB over a year ago. and i haven't looked back since.
    I think CMPS is something simple and easy to use, while vBulletin CMS is a much more powerful thing but you have to learn how to use it.

vBulletin CMS has lots of features you for forgot to name. Why?

vBadvanced CMPS is a tool that lets you display some forum posts as news items on a portal, but they are still forum posts and when you open them, comment on them it show.

Would you even consider CMPS if you would have multipage articles? If you would need advanced formating options in a several pages long article?

Lets see my Dance of Blades: Amazons story as example. You will see one thing for clear: It is a 6 pages long article, and you don't like 6 pages long forum posts followed by replies, right?

And with this I can link to some individial pages of the article.
    Start of a story about RPG amazons, dark elves (drow) for RPG gamers)
    Game information about handling some "RPG amazons" in game

As you see the story illustrates a concept and I have some rules information at the end (which is the shortest page).

Reviews, walktroughs, literature and a lot of things would require long articles that simply don't work as forum posts.

If you actually care about managing your articles and want to see some content is shown both on home page (for some time) and in section pages, the CMS has a lot more options. Content types? Again, it is a good thing.

You have editors and choosing what gets published is important to you?

CMS is a tool if you want to manage your own content which goes beyound forum posts, and while it is still a bit limited and needs some optimizations, I wouldn't say it is useless. And in such cases it is better than CMPS.

With multiple instances on different subdomains CMPS would be a realy good tool to let groups of forum users have their own mini-portal, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by TheElf View Post
    I think CMPS is something simple and easy to use, while vBulletin CMS is a much more powerful thing but you have to learn how to use it.

vBulletin CMS has lots of features you for forgot to name. Why?

vBadvanced CMPS is a tool that lets you display some forum posts as news items on a portal, but they are still forum posts and when you open them, comment on them it show.

Would you even consider CMPS if you would have multipage articles? If you would need advanced formating options in a several pages long article?

Lets see my Dance of Blades: Amazons story as example. You will see one thing for clear: It is a 6 pages long article, and you don't like 6 pages long forum posts followed by replies, right?

And with this I can link to some individial pages of the article.
    Start of a story about RPG amazons, dark elves (drow) for RPG gamers)
    Game information about handling some "RPG amazons" in game

As you see the story illustrates a concept and I have some rules information at the end (which is the shortest page).

Reviews, walktroughs, literature and a lot of things would require long articles that simply don't work as forum posts.

If you actually care about managing your articles and want to see some content is shown both on home page (for some time) and in section pages, the CMS has a lot more options. Content types? Again, it is a good thing.

You have editors and choosing what gets published is important to you?

CMS is a tool if you want to manage your own content which goes beyound forum posts, and while it is still a bit limited and needs some optimizations, I wouldn't say it is useless. And in such cases it is better than CMPS.

With multiple instances on different subdomains CMPS would be a really good tool to let groups of forum users have their own mini-portal, etc.
    My bad let me rephrase, The vB CMS sucks I personally prefer Joomla even it it has to be bridged.. I do use the CMS and yes i do know how to use it but it still sucks.. When i purchased my first (of many) vB licenses vBcmps was really the only integrated solution, this isnt true anymore, but vB's solution is far from good.

Also i didnt say it was better i said it worked for my needs better.

I will chime in on this discussion. I used vBa CMPS for many years... from about vB 3.0 days and it did me well. I also used GARS for articles and had the two very integrated and very customized. I was stung by GARS and other add-ons becoming unsupported and really wanted to get on something like vB CMS that I knew was here to stay. My sites had gone way back level because I was stuck with dead add-ons, and when vB CMS came out, I was all over it. I bought it for my sites during the promotion, but sat on it for another year and just upgraded my sites a few weeks ago.

For what I was doing, I'm sure that vB CMS will be able to handle it. My site is now looking nearly identical to what I had with CMPS+GARS and my articles look much better and more professional. I've not ever used Dynamics, so can't comment on that however. I just went in and promoted all my old GARS threads to CMS articles and I was off to the races.

The biggest challenge has little to do with vB CMS, and more to do with the shift in vB 4.x to CSS from tables. That is a total change from any customization in the past. What is really, really lacking with vB CMS is a total lack of good documentation on how to do things.... how to customize widgets, pages, etc. It can be done, its just difficult to figure out how. And about 2/3 of the documentation that there is out there was done in early releases of vB CMS 4.x and things have changed in subsequent releases. IB is still making significant changes to vB and vB CMS 4.x, so that makes it tough.

But the reality is that will come. I find vB CMS to be very good for a basic system... and doesn't compare with something like Joomla for all the addons you can get for it. Lets remember that vB CMS is a version 1 product. Taking that in to account, its dang good. I am going to stick with it and fight through the learning curve.

I totally agree that there is certainly a market for custom widgets and would gladly pay for once to do what I need.

VBA best

Hopefully, I can use both

Quote Originally Posted by booth View Post
    Hopefully, I can use both
    That's definitely the best way to do it. vBCMS has nothing on CMPS in terms of what the latter can do for your site, but at least it offers rudimentary content management features that are outside the scope of CMPS.

I just wish that vB went in the direction of integrating with external systems (Joomla, Wordpress) rather than create their own CMS. Imagine the sheer number of potential new customers if it allowed seamless integration with J/WP...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information