Thread: Importing link data

Default Importing link data

The lack of any importing features has been the main reason I've put off getting the otherwise fantastic vBa Links software. Is there any possibility that we can see some sort of import functionality in the near future? Even a "yeah, probably for 5.0" might cut it.

Every other links directory script worth its salt offers this sort of thing, and though they're stand-alone, I've had to seriously consider going with one of them and dealing with the sloppy integration as a result. This feature would definitely swing me back to vBa.

Dmoz importing would be fantastic, though there are ways to generate at least a csv or xml list of categories and links so that even a raw import feature here could take care of that.

CSV/tab/pipe delineated imports would be all that's necessary to start with. XML would be nice too. (Even LDM offers these import options, as well as export for backup.)

Any thoughts? I have a hand-gathered list of hundreds of sites with url and other information that I would rather import than re-enter. I understand that vBa Links uses modified forums/threads for its directory (doesn't it?), but there must be a way to accomplish this.

The import question came up a few times before and I remember seeing a reply or two saying it had been done......

this was one reply http://www.vbadvanced.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30482

whether that is a viable way round the issue I have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by CareyCrew View Post
    The import question came up a few times before and I remember seeing a reply or two saying it had been done......

this was one reply http://www.vbadvanced.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30482

whether that is a viable way round the issue I have no idea.
    Thx! Yes, I saw that thread before, but was hoping that since then Brian might have changed his mind about adding import functionality to a newer version. I'll take this into consideration.

Thanks!

Hi Brian -- I just wanted to check in to see if there has been any change in plans to support some sort of importing function(s) for vBa Links? (e.g. from CSV/XML files, or a DMOZ importer.)

Thx!

There was an option added in v3.3.0 & v4.1.0 to allow you to mass import a list of URL's by simply entering the list in a textbox. It will collect the meta tags from each site (just as if you were submitting them normally) and automatically fill everything out for you.
    I'll likely add some more advanced import/export options in the future, but I can't say when that might be at this time.
    Frequently Asked Questions
    CMPS Users Manual

For vBadvanced software assistance, please use the support forums.
    Unsolicted PMs, IMs, and email will not be responded to.
    If you have a non-software related question or problem with your account, please submit a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    There was an option added in v3.3.0 & v4.1.0 to allow you to mass import a list of URL's by simply entering the list in a textbox. It will collect the meta tags from each site (just as if you were submitting them normally) and automatically fill everything out for you.
    I'll likely add some more advanced import/export options in the future, but I can't say when that might be at this time.
    Ah, that's fantastic! Thanks, Brian. I guess I missed those in the new-features announcements.

Excellent news, very promising.

Thread Information