Thread: How do I change the title tag?

Default How do I change the title tag?

Hi Guys,

I noticed the default title tag for vBa Dynamics is whatever you put as the entry item name. For example I'm using this system for tutorial write-up's and therefore the title is "Tutorials". While that is great, it's not exactly SEO friendly. I would like for it to either say:

Tutorials - FPSDev

or

FPSDev Tutorials

Is there anyway to do this without changing the name of the tab that automatically displays in the vB Template?

When you say "entry item name", I assume you're referring to the 'Term For "Entry"' setting? There's one above that called 'Dynamics Title', and that's what's dispalyed in the title of your broswer and navbar.
    Frequently Asked Questions
    CMPS Users Manual

For vBadvanced software assistance, please use the support forums.
    Unsolicted PMs, IMs, and email will not be responded to.
    If you have a non-software related question or problem with your account, please submit a support ticket.

Lightbulb Having Different Navigation Bar and Browser Page Titles

I had a similar issue as I was looking have a different title for the browser page to that on the navigation bar. I did find a solution to this (an explanation of what I did follows) but wondered if there was a better way to that which I came up with.

To explain further my navigation bar says 'Title' which I wanted to keep as it was.

But I wanted to have browser page titles which had the niche subject area appended to them as a prefix to the title, so the page title in the browser reads: 'My Niche Title'

As I could not find a way of separating the title in the navbar from that on the browser for the page, what I did as a short term measure (until I can think of anything better) is edited each of the following templates;
    ADV_DYNA
    ADV_DYNA_BROWSECATEGORY
    ADV_DYNA_SHOWENTRY

by finding the following code in the title tag,
    {vb:raw vba_options.dyna_title}
    and changing it to,
    My Niche Subject {vb:raw vba_options.dyna_title}

e.g.1 for one instance of vBa Dynamics the navbar reads: 'News' but the browser title tag reads: 'My Niche News'
    e.g.2 for another instance the navbar reads 'Directory' but the browser title tag reads 'My Niche Directory'

Therefore what I wanted to do, and have done, is add some extra text as a prefix to the title for the browser pages but leave the other titles (navbar etc) as they are (namely short and simple).

Having done this I wondered if there is a simpler or neater way of doing this than doing template edits on multiple template pages, which could potentially be lost in an upgrade and then would require re-doing? Or is there a way of separating the page titles from the other places (i.e. the navbar etc) that the title would be used?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

tfm (posting from aam's account)

Editing the templates as you've done is probably the best way. That's not something you're going to lose during an upgrade since customized templates are not overwritten.
    Frequently Asked Questions
    CMPS Users Manual

For vBadvanced software assistance, please use the support forums.
    Unsolicted PMs, IMs, and email will not be responded to.
    If you have a non-software related question or problem with your account, please submit a support ticket.

Thread Information