Thread: 404 Page Not Found errors on all outbound links...

Unhappy 404 Page Not Found errors on all outbound links...

A couple months ago I followed instructions in this thread to get relative links working correctly in vBadvanced CMS and Links Directory (3.3.0). I thought everything was finally working fine, and it was for me in Google Chrome.

Today I started getting complaints (probably the first time anyone's used it but me) that when going to outbound links everyone using IE and Firefox are getting 404 Errors...

For example this page:
    http://www.juot.net/forums/links/sho...-cafepress-61/

When you click on the main link in Firefox you get my site's 404 page not found message.

In Internet Explorer 8 it's even worse, none of the images work- they are all "red x's" besides the thumbnail image actually.

In Google Chrome though everything works fine.

Is there any way of making the links just real links to the sites in question and not have to go through the links directory script file to "send" people to the URL... I don't care about statistics at all and this round-about way seems to cause more problems then it is worth.

Just to be clear in links_global.php starting on line 253 I have:
    PHP Code:
    if ($vba_options['links_spiderurls'])
    {

$headinclude .= '<base href="' $vba_options['links_homeurl'] . '/" />';

//$headinclude .= '<base href="/forums/links/" />'; 

Like this everything works except the URL when I click on anything on the Links Directory page forces everyone to my main domain, www.juot.net, which is a problem because some people access my site via alternate domains such as www.juot.co because the main domain is blocked from their places of work.

Per Brian's instructions in the other thread I changed the code to comment out the existing line and added the base url being the relative link, "/forums/links" - this worked fine in Google Chrome but gave errors in Firefox and Internet Explorer.

I also tried commenting out both lines figuring, why do I need a base herf at all... while the images were no longer broken in IE without base the outbound links ALL resulted in 404 errors, including in Chrome.

It's my guess the script links directory uses to send people to specific urls requires that base tag to be set, that is why I think if we can make the outbound urls direct links instead of going through a script everything will work fine without a base tag at all.

I just checked the pages in IE8 and FF, but all links and images appear to be working fine for me. Were you able to resolve this, or am I just missing something?
    Frequently Asked Questions
    CMPS Users Manual

For vBadvanced software assistance, please use the support forums.
    Unsolicted PMs, IMs, and email will not be responded to.
    If you have a non-software related question or problem with your account, please submit a support ticket.

I didn't want to leave it in the non-working state so I commented out the line causing the problem in links_global.php to return it to it's normal state.

As it is now it works fine if you visit from www.juot.net but if you visit from www.juot.co all links on the links directory page will forward everyone back to www.juot.net.

In the previous thread we figured this was because of the line in links_global.php that puts a <base> href tag on every page... Apparently by design these tags must be absolute, not relative like you suggested earlier- relative causes problems in other browsers.

I'm not sure there is a solution because I can't use an absolute base href tag and the links directory showlink.php script "goto" command doesn't seem to work without a base href set.

I was able to make some edits to the links directory templates to change the URL of the outbound links to the real URL instead of going through showlinks.php and it seems to work (I didn't make these changes public yet) but before I edit a bunch of templates I was wondering if there may be a better solution.

Is the only purpose of sending url's through showlink.php to keep track of visits? If I don't care about the number of visits will anything else be hurt by not using showlink.php?goto ?

The only reason the showlink.php is used to redirect is to keep track of the number of clicks, so that is the only thing you would lose by changing the link.
    CMPS Users Manual

If you have a non-software related question or problem with your account, please submit a support ticket.

OK Thanks... I'll probably end up doing that then... Do you by chance know/think if there will be any further upgrades to this version of the links directory (for vB 3.8?)

On more thing... I found all the template edits except for the one shown in the image below:

The URL when browsing the links- I figured it would be in the linkbits template where the link for the thumbnail image and the view count was but it doesn't seem to be there... after inspection I think it might come from a javascript file but I looked at vba_links_global.php and I didn't see it immediately apparent. Do you have any idea what code needs to be changed where to make these direct links rather than via showlink.php? The edits I made in the templates was to change it from a complicated <a href="showlink.php... blah blah blah"> to just <a href="$link[linkurl]"> and are working.

The code for that link can be found in your 'adv_links_linkbit_dropdowns' template.

I didn't think about this yesterday, but you can probably just change the <base> tag that's added in links_global.php to this:
    Code:
    $headinclude .= '<base href="http://' . $_SERVER['HTTP_HOST'] . '/forums/links/" />';
    $_SERVER['HTTP_HOST'] will give you the domain the user is currently browsing from, so that should be all you need.
    CMPS Users Manual

Awesome Brian, that works great!

Thread Information