Thread: Make the Links Directory a Downloads Directory

Default Make the Links Directory a Downloads Directory

Brian are u using the Links directory as a downloads section on edmplanet.com? If so, what would I have to do to be able to do that? My guess is to go in a change everything that says links to files? like phrases, queries, templates ect. am i correct? or is it more complex then that?

Default Re: Make the Links Directory a Downloads Directory

Well basically what I did on EDM Planet was do a find/replace on link/file on all of the files that come in the links package, then ran the install, made the file changes, and etc. If you're going to attempt something like this, be sure to do case sensetive replaces on link/file and Link/File. It seems like there was some other things I ended up having to do, but I don't remember exactly what they were (or it may just be because I did a find/replace on link/file that wasn't case sensetive, so that may the only thing that created problems for me). Keep in mind as well that if you're going to attempt something like this and have both a links directory and a files directory that two licenses are required.
    Last edited by Brian; 01-03-2005 at 03:34 PM.

ok thats what I was thinking, just make sure all the instances of the word link/Link is replaced with file/File. (case-sensative) gotcha

ohhhhh 2 licenses, because there would be 2 installs of the same script on one website? I thought u only needed a seperate license if you were installing it on multiple websites. Oh well, no big deal

Quote Originally Posted by lethal
    ohhhhh 2 licenses, because there would be 2 installs of the same script on one website? I thought u only needed a seperate license if you were installing it on multiple websites. Oh well, no big deal
    Yup...

Your license grants you the right to run one instance (a single installation) of vBadvanced Links Directory on one web site for each license purchased. A separate license is required for each instance of the software.

hey brian, i think that you should release a downloads directory like you have on edmplanet. That why the users wouldn't have to worry about editing the files and such to use the links directory for downloads. It would probably boost your sales also Maybe up the price a bit and release both in one package or have the option to purchase them seperate or something. i don't know just a thought.

Thread Information