Thread: Multiple instances or categories - what's better for performance?

Default Multiple instances or categories - what's better for performance?

I've bought a few days ago vBadvanced Dynamics (branding free, multiple instances) a bit pricey but very nice script. I totally like it.

I have one dilemma, I hesitate which way should I go. Let me draw the situation.
    I need to create 20-30 categories and for each one many searchable custom fields. And I see two ways I can do it and both seem to have their advantages and disadvantages.

One is creating multiple categories and only one instance would be installed for my purpose. I would have to customize search templates and do some code customization for each category.

The second way would be installing multiple instances, each instance for one category, I would need implement less customization as script by default will be in most matters enough customized by itself.

And here is what I wonder, what is better for overall performance and server load?

Creating multiple categories only (but then for example many database queries, search queries are done across the whole thing).

Creating 20-30 instances each for one category (queries are done only for the one instance/category data but there will be 20-30 x more files so for example 1500 files instead of only 50 and many more database tables too)

What will affect more performance? I would be grateful for some input.

Georgia, USA

I wouldn't think it would make much of a difference with performance and server load either way. It seems like 20-30 instances could be a bit much to manage though, so I'd probably go with a single instance.
    Frequently Asked Questions
    CMPS Users Manual

For vBadvanced software assistance, please use the support forums.
    Unsolicted PMs, IMs, and email will not be responded to.
    If you have a non-software related question or problem with your account, please submit a support ticket.

Thread Information