Thread: Newbie Help

Default Newbie Help

Im looking to start a car forum /interest site and im completley confused, most of the other sites i use use this platform.

Which package do i need, as will be only a hobby site to start with, but who knows where it may go.

Thens theres hosting, servers and domain names, any one give us a little help please, or am i out of my depth big time.

Gone. vB is worthless now

You need :

1) forum software either free or premium, vbulletin as used here is premium software (www.vbulletin.com)

2) Hosting, this can be the cheaper shared hosting to start with but if your site gets busy you will need a VPS/cloud server and if really busy a dedicated server.

3) Domain names can be bought from the likes of Namecheap or GoDaddy ( and many others) or often your hosting company will also be sellers.

4) You need to look around the various forum softwares available and decide what suits your needs best. Also research your niche well, there are 100,000s of car sites out there already so you need to have something special or different to bring in the members/visitors.

Thanks for your reply

I have a further question regarding hosting answer

Hosting, this can be the cheaper shared hosting to start with but if your site gets busy you will need a VPS/cloud server and if really busy a dedicated server.

When would you decide to make the move to a VPS/cloud server? or a dedicated server, would it be amount of posts or actual active members or how many?

Gone. vB is worthless now

Active users and numbers online at a given time. Shared hosting is often quoted as "unlimited", this is BS*** as there are limits on the amount of server/CPU capacity you can use as it is shared between all the sites on the server and there could be 1-2000 on there.

Hosts that quote huge amounts of capacity at low prices are usually over subscribed ,as they say you get what you pay for.

Thread Information