Thread: Help needed - adding Google Maps support

Default Help needed - adding Google Maps support

I'm using Dynamics as a Classifieds section on my site. It works very well, even though I can still improve upon it. One thing I've been needing to add is a feature that allows the user to filter ads so that they can limit what they see by only showing ads with zip codes that are X miles away from their own location. Years ago I used a zip code database solution for this. With the popularity of Google Maps I'm sure this can probably be achieved easily.

I currently have zip code as a field on the posting form, I just would need to make it required. I could also see about making it pre-filled from the user's profile, since I have that field in there.

The way I see it, I can make it work like this: If the user has a zip code entered in their profile it would show up pre filled in a text field, then they could simply choose the distance option they want (within 20 miles, 50 miles, 100 miles, etc), along with the category they want (cars, parts, wheels, etc), then click submit. Or, if they don't have a zip code entered in their profile, they would just enter their zip code manually and choose their options.

Then the search results would be sorted by distance.

This would need to be entered into the Search form for Dynamics too. But it would get most of it's use by having it up at the top of the listings. I'm envisioning something similar to Autotrader or any of the auto classifieds sites.

Any suggestions on how I'd spec it out and make it a tight integration using the user profile fields? And how to tie in Google Maps to make the filtering work? I could really use some help coming up with the plan of attack. It's been a while since I've done any development like this, and for a non-developer, something like this is a pretty big project.

Thanks in advance.

Found this:
    http://briancray.com/posts/how-to-ca...ogle-maps-api/

Haven't read it all yet, but it looks like it might be a good place to start.

Thread Information