Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Random Display

Default Random Display

Under the browse category option for one instance of my Dynamics I am in need of showing the Default Entries Order randomly opposed to the settings that are offered. I only need this for one instance (I am running several instances right now) and I have no issue modifying files if necessary. Assistance with this would help me immensely.

This has been seen 774 times without a response. lol I know it is nothing more (or so I think) that just adding ORDER BY RAND() to the sql query that displays the articles on the browse category page but I am not certain how to go about doing it. I really need to display them randomly opposed to a set order.

I am bumping this because I haven't gotten an answer and was coming here to write the same question again! lol How can I have the listings under the browsecategory page show the rows randomly opposed to in a specific order? I have no issue using plugins or file editing. I need this for one instance of dynamics.

Nothing? Is this really that difficult to do or is no one reading this who has the knowledge to do it? Are you out there Brian?

Anyone out there on this site anymore?

I am so sick of not getting ****ing answers on this website. Your customer service has turned to ****.

Star Trek log file 7: Over 3K views and no responses. Has the site been abandoned by its owner? I will continue to log the poor customer service I have encountered. At the very least a simple "it isn't possible" would have sufficed. No response at all though. I won't be renewing any licenses with this site nor will I be purchasing any further licenses. No support = no money from me.
    Last edited by iguanairs; 07-12-2013 at 12:26 PM.

Star Trek log file 8: It seems there is no intelligent life forms scouring this section of the site. There have been thousands of views but no one has acknowledged the thread as of yet. I will continue to document how poor the customer service is here these days.

Star Trek log file 9: I believe I have mastered the art of invisibility as no one seems to see this post. Ninja level = 10

Star Trek log file 10: I'm not sure but I believe the threads have accepted me as one of their own. They do not acknowledge my existence and have just accepted that I am here. I will report back in the future.

Star Trek log file 11: I'm feeling isolated and alone. The natives have chosen to not speak me. How can I earn their knowledge? How can I persuade them to help me?

Star Trek log file 12: One of the locals reached out to using the pm system. He shared with me information I was already aware of but he reached out nonetheless. t seems the locals are shy. Are they afraid of this section of the site? Time will tell. i will report back later.

Star Trek log file 13: it is now 7/17/13 and my hope is dwindling. It seems I have asked a question that is beyond the intelligence of the locals. I figured at least the developer would know but he has been scarce as of late. Support is failing miserably. smh

Star Trek log file 14: I may have to pay someone to figure this out since the developer has decided to ignore me entirely. He has already cost himself a sale because we were going to use Dynamics on another website but decided to go with wordpress for this section instead since support here sucks so bad. No support for me = no money for you. I will continue to use wordpress for my article sections since Brian doesn't offer support anymore. smh

Star Trek log file 15: Customer service here seems to still suck. I can't say I am surprised since this threas was started in March and never garnered a post from Brian. smh I feel like I wasted money on all those damn licenses now. Oh well, that won't happen again.

Well this will be my last entry in this thread. It is truly shameful that this thread hasn't received a response from "support" with as long as it has been up. I wasn't kidding when I said this site won't receive any more money from me. I supported this site for years and can't get a simple response to my question. Well more power to you. smh

Sorry I haven't been able to reply sooner. I've had too much going on lately and haven't had as much time to check the forums as I have in the past. That should be changing shortly though.

If you have multiple pages of entries then that could be problematic since loading each new page would show completely random entries and still show some that you have seen on previous pages, so it would be hard to browse through every entry in that category. Otherwise if you only have a few entries or don't care about the issue with multiple pages then you could add a new plugin with the following values:

Product: vBadvanced Dynamics
    Hook Location: vba_dyna_browsecategory_default
    Title: Random Entries
    Execution Order: 5
    Plugin PHP Code:
    PHP Code:
    if (ADV_DYNA_PREFIX == 'your_dynamics_prefix_here' AND $catid == X)
    {

$condition['doorderby'] = 'RAND()';

Plugin Active: Yes

In the plugin PHP code be sure to change your_dynamics_prefix_here to the instance prefix you're using for that instance of Dynamics, and the X at the end of the first line to the categoryid you want this applied to.
    Frequently Asked Questions
    CMPS Users Manual

For vBadvanced software assistance, please use the support forums.
    Unsolicted PMs, IMs, and email will not be responded to.
    If you have a non-software related question or problem with your account, please submit a support ticket.

I asked this question back in March Brian. That isn't "not having much time". That was months ago man. I realize life happens but when someone like me spent as much money as I have here, that isn't acceptable. You lost a customer. I won't be renewing any licenses and won't be using your products on any future sites I create.

That's certainly your prerogative, though I know of many software companies that do not officially support customizations at all. Good luck with your websites.
    Frequently Asked Questions
    CMPS Users Manual

For vBadvanced software assistance, please use the support forums.
    Unsolicted PMs, IMs, and email will not be responded to.
    If you have a non-software related question or problem with your account, please submit a support ticket.

I agree, there are many that don't support customization. I am not talking about those companies though, we are talking about your company. I waited 4 months for a response that took you less than 1 minute to post. 4 months...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information