Thread: vBadvanced.com Now Running vBulletin 4.2

Default vBadvanced.com Now Running vBulletin 4.2

I've decided it was finally time to upgrade the forums here to vB4 and get with the times a bit. I had been putting it off since vB3 seemed to be the much more stable option for a while, plus there's a good bit of custom stuff here that had to be updated. Now that vB4 has had time to mature and support for vB3 is fading away, I figured this would be a good time to upgrade. Everything seems to have gone smoothly, but if anyone finds any problems please feel to reply here or use the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of any page to let us know. Other than that, I hope everyone enjoys the updated software and look of the forums.
    Frequently Asked Questions
    CMPS Users Manual

For vBadvanced software assistance, please use the support forums.
    Unsolicted PMs, IMs, and email will not be responded to.
    If you have a non-software related question or problem with your account, please submit a support ticket.

Nice work!

It looks great! Thanks, Brian!

Yuk! The interface for the forum is really crummy, especially when viewing the results of a search (New posts). Sorry for my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by fos View Post
    Yuk! The interface for the forum is really crummy, especially when viewing the results of a search (New posts). Sorry for my opinion.
    Nearly identical to 3.x, so whats wrong?
    Zachery
    I may or may not do things.

Quote Originally Posted by fos View Post
    I'm not a fan of that interface either. If you click "What's New" and then click the "New Posts" link in the "sub-navbar" section then you'll see the same old page from vB3.
    CMPS Users Manual

If you have a non-software related question or problem with your account, please submit a support ticket.

Well I kinda miss the vB2 default theme with the purple bkground and gold text.

Nice to see you're fine and more active, thanks for upgrading.
    Cool avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I'm not a fan of that interface either. If you click "What's New" and then click the "New Posts" link in the "sub-navbar" section then you'll see the same old page from vB3.
    Actually, New Posts is under the Forum tab, too.

Anyway, a few things:

1. Your username and My Profile links both take you to the same place. May I suggest commenting out the My Profile link in the header template?

Code:
    <li><a href="{vb:link member, {vb:raw bbuserinfo}}">{vb:rawphrase your_profile}</a></li>
    Change to:
    Code:
    <vb:comment><li><a href="{vb:link member, {vb:raw bbuserinfo}}">{vb:rawphrase your_profile}</a></li></vb:comment>
    2. I find the "last visited" thing useful, and for some reason it was commented out in vB4. Back again in the header template, just find this and remove the <vb:comment> tags.

Code:
    <vb:comment><p>{vb:rawphrase last_visited_x_at_y, {vb:raw pmbox.lastvisitdate}, {vb:raw pmbox.lastvisittime}}</p></vb:comment>
    3. Can we have the forum as the default page?

Admin CP > Settings > Navigation Manager

Click the dropdown menu on Forum and choose Set Default.

4. Can we have the vertical (legacy) postbit? The horizontal one looks fine on vB3, but not vB4.

Admin CP > Settings > Options > Style & Language Settings > Use Vertical (Legacy) Postbit

Finally, I'm great at basic styling, so I'd be more than happy to make a style with the color scheme of vB3 vBAdvanced.

Who cares, no support! I've been a client since 2004 and my ticket is there with no responses since may 2013

I'm not sure why you're posting that under this thread since that's a bit offtopic... We do not provide general support through the support ticket system though, which is clearly stated before you're allowed to submit a ticket. I checked your recent tickets and I see that one was closed several months ago and you appeared to have resolved the issue in the forums, so I'm not sure why you're still expecting a reply to something that was closed and appeared to be resolved long ago.
    CMPS Users Manual

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I'm not sure why you're posting that under this thread since that's a bit offtopic... We do not provide general support through the support ticket system though, which is clearly stated before you're allowed to submit a ticket. I checked your recent tickets and I see that one was closed several months ago and you appeared to have resolved the issue in the forums, so I'm not sure why you're still expecting a reply to something that was closed and appeared to be resolved long ago.
    This.

Businesses like vBulletin have both forum support and office support, so just because you don't see them supporting customers out in the public doesn't mean they aren't doing it behind the scenes.

Glad to see you took the plunge, Brian! Site looks better than ever. Keep up the good work!
    TBMOTORING - Thunder Bay Automotive Enthusiast Club
    http://tbmotoring.com

It says on the support page, VB 3.6 and up. i Have 3.8 and I can't use it because it says i need to upgrade to 4.0
    and I DO NOT WANT TO.

The site design looks better than ever (although it's just the bv 4.x default style) but it really needed a refresh...

But well, I'm too in the same 'boat' as @Rukin1, and I've got my boards still on vb 3.8.x, and... not wanting to upgrade any sooner, oh no...

(I'll have to stick with the 3.8.x style with some tweaks here and there...)

Thread Information