Thread: Add on another block that operates exactly like recent threads

Default Add on another block that operates exactly like recent threads

It has been a few years since I have had to do anything html wise or anything else on my page. I have vbulletin 3.7.4 and VBadvanced cmps 3.0.1.

I want to add an RSS feed from another site. I have it working perfectly by using the add RSS feed option. The issue is it deletes over all the other content that I post that I want to stay under recent threads. So what I would like to do is put another block under the Recent thread block that operates the same that will only show the threads posted from the RSS feed. I want the other posts in my forum to still show under Recent Threads and not be deleted by the continuous posts made by the RSS feed.

I tried to add module in the VB advanced settings my my site control panel but could not get it to work. It let me add the module and put in at the center and put the display order as right under Recent Threads and even tried it on the left and right columns and used the proper display order and the new box never showed up.

More or less I want to add a foum in vbulletin called RSS feed that is from a specific url. obviously I know the control panel has the option. The issue is when I set it then it posts a bunch so it is taking over and updating all of the recent thread posts that I need to remain. To avoid having this RSS feed posts showing in the same recent Thread block on my VBadvanced homepage I need to know how I can create a new block under the Recent Thread block that could be named RSS feed and act just like the Recent Threads block?
    Last edited by cmb7684; 10-30-2013 at 08:58 AM.

bump?

Sounds like you just need to go to Admin CP => vBa CMPS => Edit Modules and then select "Copy Module" from the select menu next to your Recent Threads module. On the next page update the title of the module, then select your RSS forum in the "Recent Threads Forums" setting further down the page. Then edit your Recent Threads module and select every forum except for your RSS feed forum in the same "Recent Threads Forums" setting and that should do it.
    Frequently Asked Questions
    CMPS Users Manual

For vBadvanced software assistance, please use the support forums.
    Unsolicted PMs, IMs, and email will not be responded to.
    If you have a non-software related question or problem with your account, please submit a support ticket.

Thank you for your post.

I did what you said and have it working but with a problem. If I manually post in the forum set up for the RSS feed it shows on the bottom block that mirrors the recent threads block like it is supposed to without showing in the recent threads block that is meant to show all other forum posts except the forum for the rss feed. If I make a post in any other forum except the rss feed it shows in the top block that is set up to show posts in all forums except the RSS feed.

My issue is before I made any changes and set up the RSS feed it worked fine and posted from the url as it should it was just trampling over my recent posts and was the purpose for making the separate recent thread module specific for the RSS feed.

Now when I set up the RSS feed single forum and then add the rss feed in vbulletin I get this error which was not happening prior to adding the module:

IAFF News XML Error: not well-formed (invalid token) at line 18

It may be something simple as I am a novice but I have toyed with it and cant figure it out. None the less the rss feed is not working because it is not making any new posts in that forum. Again if I make a manual test post in the forum set up for the RSS feed the test post will show as it should and appears in the recent thread module I made for the RSS feed as you instructed but now something is causing this line 18 error.

Any ideas or suggestion of how to correct this?

That sounds more like an issue with vBulletin. If you're seeing that error in your Admin CP or when viewing your forums then it's definitely a vBulletin issue so you'd need to ask for support at vbulletin.com.
    Frequently Asked Questions
    CMPS Users Manual

For vBadvanced software assistance, please use the support forums.
    Unsolicted PMs, IMs, and email will not be responded to.
    If you have a non-software related question or problem with your account, please submit a support ticket.

For some reason the problem was caused by a bad url. Deleting the module and setting it all up again with new rss feeds corrected the problem. Thanks

Thread Information