Thread: <H1> Tags

Question <H1> Tags

I have run several "website audit reports" and the #1 item on the to-do-list is to OPTIMIZE <H1> and <H2> headers. Since I was never formally trained in HTML, I assumed that "bolding the text" and making the font-size larger then the rest, would suffice. Of course that's wrong and I now need to correct this deficiency.

I'm currently utilizing vB 3.8.7 and vBAdvanced 3.1.0 and need to fix these missing items on my web pages AND associated page modules.

Please help me out here.

Bob

What "missing items" exactly are you trying to fix? It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to wrap <h1> tags around your page titles if they don't already have them, but for the most part I wouldn't recommend wrapping header tags around module titles and such.
    Frequently Asked Questions
    CMPS Users Manual

For vBadvanced software assistance, please use the support forums.
    Unsolicted PMs, IMs, and email will not be responded to.
    If you have a non-software related question or problem with your account, please submit a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    What "missing items" exactly are you trying to fix? It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to wrap <h1> tags around your page titles if they don't already have them, but for the most part I wouldn't recommend wrapping header tags around module titles and such.

Brian,

I don't have any header tags on my website and I think that's part of my traffic problem.

For example:

Web Page for Fishing Flea Markets going on in Pennsylvania in 2014.

http://www.caught-the-skunk.com/inde...g-flea-markets

In this example,

1) THIS IS DONE. The [current] <h1> tag (i.e., Page Title) is "Pennsylvania Fishing Flea Markets." This is posted just below the Navbar.

2) The forum POST Titles are also being configured for <h1> tags. This is also DONE.

3) THIS IS IN-PROCESS. The <h2> tag (i.e., Module Title) would then be "2014 PA Fishing Flea Markets." I'm trying to get these in-place before tweaking them for improved SEO.

Why wouldn't you recommed wrapping the <h2> tag around the module title, as it falls nicely into the subject/page hierarchy?

Bob

Header tags are certainly a helpful thing, but they do need to be applied properly. 1 & 2 sound good. For module titles though, it could depend. If the majority of your module titles are more default modules and have titles like "Current Poll", "Recent Threads", "News", and etc then it may do more harm than good. If you have mostly custom modules and the titles relate to your site a bit more, then the <h2> tags should help. I'd just say be careful and make sure the titles relate. If they don't, try to rename them so they do. I don't think it will make a huge difference one way or the other, but at the same time you don't want to do anything detrimental.
    Frequently Asked Questions
    CMPS Users Manual

For vBadvanced software assistance, please use the support forums.
    Unsolicted PMs, IMs, and email will not be responded to.
    If you have a non-software related question or problem with your account, please submit a support ticket.

Thread Information