Thread: Changing domain name

Question Changing domain name

I am changing my domain name. Not moving servers just changing domain name. My question is how much of a headache is this going to be for the CMPS and Gallery? What steps will I need to take?
    TIA,
    D
    vBACMPS, Gallery user and Fan!!!
    Come talk about the best dog breed in the world @
    BoxerTalk!

Default Re: Changing domain name

Quote Originally Posted by DarknessDivine
    I am changing my domain name. Not moving servers just changing domain name. My question is how much of a headache is this going to be for the CMPS and Gallery? What steps will I need to take?
    TIA,
    D
    Should be invisible to both for the most part. Behind the scenes the parts that really matter are your file paths. As long as your file paths aren't changing then the only thing you'd have to is update the URL values through the ACP for Gallery.

The other thing to bear in mind is that your icons & smilies would need to be updated also if you have the old domain name as part of their parth (the same with the rest of your styles as well).

Default Re: Changing domain name

Never been down that road before but if it's as easy as moving around stuff on my computer (I have some vB installations on my computer with nice domain names like vb or fblog) it should be trivial. You just change the server name, url and paths to the new name and that's all there is to it.
    However, while your dns changes propagate through the ether, it's going to be a mess because you'll be receiving visitors that typed the old address but your vB, Gallery and CMPS are using the new.
    So, it would be better to use your IP in the configs just for a few days. But like I said initially, never done that before so you should seek some similar experiences in vbulletin's forum.

Anyway, here's a checklist from the top of my head:
    - check with vB staff and ask what is the proper procedure because your license number is related to your current domain name and not the new;
    - check the same thing with Brian about Gallery;
    - check your templates, styles, hacks and php config files, look for hard-coded full paths and urls;
    - check your smilies, icons and avatar paths;
    - check your site's .htaccess for hard-coded domain name rules and rewrites;
    - don't forget you'll be without your current domain name email accounts for a few days;
    - alert your users at least a couple of times like 3 days earlier and in the previous day, and give them the alternative way to access your site (IP);
    - and finally, change your underwear everyday =)

Good luck D!

Thread Information