Thread: No middle column

Default No middle column

I just got done setting up vBadvaced 1.0.1 at www.bloodshotgamer.com, and everything went as planned, except that I dont have a middle column. Can someone please help? Thank you.

*edit* Well, it appears none of the links on the horizontal nav bar work either.

*edit2* Im just having all kinds of problems. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling because I think I had the path wrong for my forum when I installed it the first time. Now, when I uninstall, and reinstall, I get this:

Database error in vBulletin 3.0.6:

Invalid SQL: INSERT INTO adv_settinggroup (grouptitle, displayorder) VALUES ('adv_global', '1')
    mysql error: Duplicate entry 'adv_global' for key 1

mysql error number: 1062
    Last edited by hondaman; 02-01-2005 at 04:50 AM.

Default Re: No middle column

Looks like there was a small mistake in the install file that would prevent you from being able to re-install. I've just updated the file on here, so if you download it again then you should be able to run the install file.

Where is the updated file? I redownloaded the entire script, and used the install.php file from it, but it still has the same problem

Oh, nevermind. It didnt overwrite the old file when I uploaded it. It installed fine. Thank you

The old problem still remains however. The nav bar links dont work, and there is no middle column.

Admin CP => vBa CMPS => Default Settings

Try saving the settings there and see if that has any effect. If not, please post a link to your site so I can have a look.

For the middle column, you have to edit your 'News Forum ID' option on the page specified above before any news posts will show up.

http://www.vbadvanced.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5046

Doing that trick, copying everything from Navbar Replacements to Header Replacements fixed the nav bar. As for the news forum id, I see the option, but i am sorry, as I dont understand quite what to put there. I dont know what those numbers represent.

my page is www.bloodshotgamers.com

Decide which forum you want to use for your news forum. Then edit the forum in the Admin CP and near the top you will see (id: X), where X is your forumid.

Is the forumid the same as the display number? I cant find anything about a forumid when I edit a forum in the admincp

*edit* I have put several different #'s (tried 1,2,3,4,5 both seperatley and as a group with commas) in the vba cmps portion of the admincp, and still I cannot get a middle column
    Last edited by hondaman; 02-01-2005 at 08:13 PM.

I got it. It had something to do with a default setting for the forumid. and yes, the display number is the forumid.

Hi I also have that problem with no middle column and would love to know which default setting of forumid you changed or how you went about doing it? Appreciate it.

THanks.

First you must make a forum that will have your news. Then you go into the CP --> vBa CMPS --> default settings

Under "News Options" The first line is called "News Forum ID" Change that number to the id number of your news forum. The only way I know how to know which forum has what ID # is to roll your mouse over each forum. At the bottom of IE or FF you will see the link, something like "http://www.yoursite.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8" where the f=8 part is the forumid that you need to know.

Hope that helps.

Default Re: No middle column for the news

Hi,

I have been through this thread and I know what the forum id is and have enterd it in the default settings for VBadvanced. I cannot for the life of me get the news to post in the middle column of my home page. I have entered 1,2,3,4,5 just to cover my bases as well as individual forum ids. I have also deleted the forum and reinstalled the forum (changing the forum id appropriately) and still have not had any success. I have also tried using the install program for Vbadvanced again and that didn't work. I will say however that I couldn't access any of the links on the top of the home page until I resaved the default settings in the Vbadvanced CMPS settings after my initial install. Its seems to be that its just the news that isn't working for me now.

Help would be appreciated.

Thanks

AstroDude,

Do the forums that you're selecting actually have any posts in them? Even if you choose a forum you'll still get a blank middle column if the forums are empty.

Quote Originally Posted by KW802
    AstroDude,

Do the forums that you're selecting actually have any posts in them? Even if you choose a forum you'll still get a blank middle column if the forums are empty.

Hi,

I have one forum and two posts in it for testing. The forum id in the forum manager says id5 at the top for that forum and 5 is what I entered for the news forum id.

Darryl

Quote Originally Posted by AstroDude
    Hi,

I have one forum and two posts in it for testing. The forum id in the forum manager says id5 at the top for that forum and 5 is what I entered for the news forum id.

Darryl
    Should be working then. If you want to submit a support ticket somebody can take a look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by KW802
    Should be working then. If you want to submit a support ticket somebody can take a look at it.
    Problem solved (by Brian). Even though I had the right forum id in the default settings menu I still had it set to 0 on the 'Default / Homepage' page in the edit pages menu.

Darryl

Thread Information