Thread: multiple vBa CMPS questions for newby

Default multiple vBa CMPS questions for newby

1) I have an existing web site at www.mydomain.com that I am redoing somewhat built around a forum and I'm doing that at www.anotherdomain.com/forum. If I have you install vBadvanced CMPS at the work in progress site at www.anothedomain.com, how hard will it be for me to move it to www.mydomain.com when I'm ready to flip the switch. I have a very competent vBulletin host who has many vBulletin installations (realwebhost.net).

2) Is it fairly standard that vBa CMPS is installed at www.mydomain.com and act as the main home page for a site or is it ever installed at www.mydomain.com/forum?

3) I have an existing site now where I have been doing all the work in Mircrosoft Front Page. How hard will it be for me to keep publishing other aspects of my site with Front Page. For example, if vBa CMPS resides as the main home page, and I have other content to publish to that page with Front Page, I don't see how I can do that without overriding vBa CMPS....help me with the intergration idea here.

Thanks much

Default Re: multiple vBa CMPS questions for newby

1). Is there a particular reason that you want to install it on the other domain instead of just installing it on the domain it's going to be used on? Your users will not even know that the CMPS is there until you add a link or set it as your homepage, so it may be easier to just work on things on your normal domain. If there's some reason you don't want to do it this way then you could move things afterwards, but at least some general knowledge about MySQL and phpMyAdmin would be required. The best way would probably be to run the normal install on your regular domain after you have things set up on your test domain. Then you would probably want to empty your 'adv_pages', 'adv_modules', and 'adv_setting' (assuming the CMPS is all you have installed... You don't want to empty the 'adv_setting' table though if you have other vBa products installed) tables on your regular domain and then import the data from these tables from your test domain. If you add other modules and such then you may need to add the templates and phrases from the new modules as well.

2). That's completely up to you. I would say that the majority of people place the file in their root directory and use it as their homepage, but quite a few use it as their forum's index as well and have a different page as their homepage. It will work fine with either situation though.

3). I'm not seeing why this would be a problem...

Default Re: multiple vBa CMPS questions for newby

3) If you use FrontPage to publish your main page now, it probably publishes at default.htm or index.htm I assume? CMPS will be index.php, or cmps_index.php. You will need to set your web server to use one of those as a default document instead. So, you won't be able to use FrontPage to publish content to your "home page" anymore.
    My Blog
    GPS Discussion Forum

*** Please do not contact me privately for help. Thanks. ***

Thread Information