Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VBAdvanced but not as a home page...

Default VBAdvanced but not as a home page...

If this doesn't go here sorry...

I currently have VBPortal as my main page and I also have VBIndex installed as like an addon page for news. Is it possible for me to install VBAdvanced as another addon page for now? I could then always make it my main page in the future if I like it better than what I have now...

Is this possible??

Thanks
    Last edited by RichieBoy67; 03-21-2005 at 09:08 PM.
    TalkandMore.Net - Forums, Shopping, Games and More!

Default Re: VBAdvanced but not as a home page...

RichieBoy67,

Absolutely! To give a real world example, a site I was helping with preferred to keep their own front page but liked the SigmaChat module being integrated with their site design. What I did for them was to install CMPS but leave the index page named the default "cmps_index.php" so that nobody would even know it was installed unless they were told about it. I then created a few custom pages for them and the the affects were great -- they ended up being able to very easily wrap their custom content inside of their sites header & footers without commiting to CMPS as their portal page.

Now with that said I haven't yet installed CMPS and vBPortal on the same site yet. I just did a quick search to see if others have done so yet and the closest I came was this [ http://www.vbadvanced.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5756 ] so it looks like it can be done but hopefully others can give some additional input before you take the plunge.

Kevin

I think I just might try doing it tonight!! I will let you know how it goes... I really think VBAdvance kicks ass.. I had it on another site that I ended up selling...

anyways, I'll let you know how it goes.. Thanks for the speedy reply!!

BTW- I also have my eye on the links directory.. can you please give me some links to sites that are using it??

Thanks

There are a number of sites running vBa Links but the biggest that I know about is Trackpads (http://www.trackpads.com/links/). From the Links product info page (http://www.vbadvanced.com/products.p...roductinfo&p=2) you can take a look at the live demo and the admin control panel demo.

If you do the CMPS install tonight please let us know how it goes; if you don't get a chance to do it I'll try installing both on one of my test sites to see how it goes.

Kevin

I appreciate the great service here... I have questions on other forums that I asked hours ago that are still sitting there...lol Service to me is one of the main reason I choose certain script..

Anyhow, I have everything edited. I only need to upload and I need to edit the last file and this is where I have a question
    PHP Code:
    chdir('./forum'); 
    this is supposed to be the path to my forum but seeing that this portal will not be my main page do I have to do something else here??

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RichieBoy67
    I appreciate the great service here... I have questions on other forums that I asked hours ago that are still sitting there...lol Service to me is one of the main reason I choose certain script..

Anyhow, I have everything edited. I only need to upload and I need to edit the last file and this is where I have a question
    PHP Code:
    chdir('./forum'); 
    this is supposed to be the path to my forum but seeing that this portal will not be my main page do I have to do something else here??

Thanks
    Even though you won't be running CMPS as your portal page you still want to update that variable because it needs to know where to pull information from in regards to your VB settings.

If you're not sure of the full path to put in there look in your ACP then choose Import & Maintenance --> View PHP Info and look for a setting named something like "_SERVER["PATH_TRANSLATED"]". In my case it's "/home/coolscif/public_html/forums/admincp/index.php" so the value in my CMPS_INDEX file is "/home/coolscif/public_html/forums".

I'm taking off for the road but if you need help with this part I'll be back home in a few hours or one of the other guys will jump in.

Kevin

Thanks, I think I got it though...

PHP Code:
    chdir('./home/talkandm/talkandmore-www/forums'); 

would this be the correct path??

I have everything edited, installed and uploaded but I see nothing in the admincp....

Quote Originally Posted by RichieBoy67
    PHP Code:
    chdir('./home/talkandm/talkandmore-www/forums'); 

would this be the correct path??

I have everything edited, installed and uploaded but I see nothing in the admincp....
    That looks like it may be right. If you want to submit a Support Ticket I'll be up for a while tonight and can take a look at it if you want.

Ok. I am going through this thread trying to understand this. I uploaded VBadvanced with noproblems, everything shows up in the CP just fine. I have a main site with my forums connected to them on the same database. I would like to make my VBadvanced my home page, www.mysite.com then branch the other 2 off with paths one being forums and the other being the classifieds site I have. My real issue is just getting to get VBadvanced to show up anywhere on my site. I am dead in the water here. Anybody?

So... What exactly is the problem? Are you getting an error on the page, or what?

haha, no, I cant even get vbadvanced to come up.. it is just my forums front page. I am sure I am missing something, I just dont know what.

The CMPS will be located wherever you uploaded your cmps_index.php page to.

I changed the file name to home_index.php and put in my root/forums folder and uploaded it. this is what I get when i enter the web address and my path is

chdir('./home/content/t/a/n/tango1990/html/forums/');

http://www.mach1trader.com/forums/home_index.php?

Warning: chdir(): No such file or directory (errno 2) in /home/content/t/a/n/tango1990/html/home_index.php on line 21

Warning: main(.././global.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/content/t/a/n/tango1990/html/home_index.php on line 32

Fatal error: main(): Failed opening required '.././global.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/content/t/a/n/tango1990/html/home_index.php on line 32

Change it to this:
    chdir('/home/content/t/a/n/tango1990/html/forums');

If that doesn't work, try this:
    chdir('./forums');

I got rid of the first line error but still have global.php errors on line 32 listed above... What should I do with the forums index.php file? Should I rename it?

Looks like you modified the global.php line. Make sure you have this:
    require_once('./global.php');

figured it out Brian, I had to pull the file back out of the forums folder and put it in my root folder, I think it would have worked if I had the path something like this.

chdir('/home/content/t/a/n/tango1990/html/forums/forums');

but I'm not positive. either way, I got it and i appreciate the help.

well, I just wanted to let everyone know... I had some pretty severe problems having both vbadvanced and vbportal installed at the same time... It was basically a big mess...lol

Here is the good news...

I have decided to stay with vbadvanced and get rid of vb portal. Too bad I spent money on it and I even paid someone to install it.... VBadvnaced took me no time to install and it is very easy to figure out!! I am very, very happy with it!!!

I do have to fix a few minor bugs regarding my dropdown links etc but I believe that is because of my style skin.. It will be taken care of tomorrow by a good friend of mine...

Now I would like to ask you guys to come in and make suggestions regarding setting up my advanced page... I would really appreciate it!!!

http://www.talkandmore.net/

Thanks!

RichieBoy67,

Glad to hear you got things worked out; I wasn't sure about having them both installed at the same time so that's why I had offered to do it on my test site first. For future reference, since you've already gone through the pain, what kind of problems did you experience?

Take a look at your footer templates... looks like you need to update the paths for a couple of the images down there (like the Amazon graphic, etcetra).

The only thing I'd recommend really is thinking about trying to squeeze a few of those buttons in your navbar differently, I'm getting a vertical scroll bar even at 1024x768.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information